how to reject somebody and/or participate as a single in Valentine’s Day without coming out

Guest Anonymous

Question

Guest Anonymous

hey, 👋 

I’ve struggled with Valentine’s Day in the past with anxiety (mostly worried about getting asked out and saying yes because I’m too nice to say no )

and how to reject somebody (a friend or somebody I know) without coming out.

does anybody have any tips? 

6 answers to this question

7 hours ago, Guest Anonymous said:

maybe just say ‘no thanks, I’m not wanting a relationship right now’

Seconding this, came here to say this exact thing. Or maybe something like "sorry, but I'm not interested..." anything like that, keeping it polite but vague works without having to tell people you're aromantic. If this happens, most people won't press you for any more reason, but if they do, it would be quite rude and you don't have to share that you're aromantic or anything you don't want to.

If they are asking straight up to be your partner, then that would be harder(maybe lie and say you already have one), otherwise if they're just asking to go out with you say you have other plans, its the easiest way to reject someone. 

Of course if you're okay with being honest that you don't feel that way for them then you can say that too

I have already kinda answered this question before, so ima just quote it.

On 2/3/2024 at 11:21 AM, N1GHTM4R3 said:

Some Aro ways to respond to "I love you"

Bro, I have literally never seen you in my life. Why are you telling me this.

Well, you've made a mistake there, my friend.

Good for you. I guess.

Cool.

Okie dokie! Now get away from me.

IDC.

No.

Why.

Alright. See ya never.

Hey, wanna see a magic trick? Poof! You've been rejected.

+ these --> Alternate responses to I love you : r/aromantic

It was nearing Valentine's Day, I was at work and some random customer asked me if I was dating anyone, and I only ever seen this guy one other time in the store, and so technically one other time in my whole life. I told him (while smiling to lessen the blow) that no I wasn't dating anyone, but that I was not interested in dating. He smiled, said, "Okay, I just wanted to know," and walked out. A few days later he comes back in and I hit him with the cold treatment, and I haven't seen him since. I don't know if it's because of that last interaction with him, or if he found someone else to bother (because yes, I find situations like these as bothering me), but I have been placed on night shifts for a long while, so it could be that he has been frequenting the store but I just never see him. I literally dress so butch though and have a boy's cut, and go by a gender neutral/masculine name, so I to the Gods above, don't know how he was attracted to me, but it could be that he's a straight dude that's into that, or that he isn't straight. I know it's not right to assume something like that of a stranger, but this happens quite a bit. Not to say that there aren't straight people with gaydars, but I have seen that it takes a lot more for straight people to know that who they're talking to isn't like them.

I guess in summary, just say you're not interested in that kind of thing, lie and say you are seeing someone, or just say a stern "No" and leave it as that.