Crushes without desire for anything

Guest Anonymous

Question

Guest Anonymous

I've had some "crushes" in the past. If I'm right, 3 fictional ones and 1 real life one. The thing is, when I think about these specific people, the only thing that's there are the physical symptoms of a crush. Butterflies, nervousness, blushing, et cetera. I don't desire a relationship with any of them, only being friends at most, not even that all the time. I don't feel a need to think about them all the time, I pretty much only think about them if I come across them randomly. Is there a specific term for this? I'm quite sure I'm just full-on aromantic, not fictoromantic.

3 answers to this question

Yeah I think romantic attraction would mean the desire to do romantic activities with the person. Maybe you got those feelings for another reason? For example I for a while was very obsessed with a character in a TV show. I would think about them a lot and they would pop into my mind at lots of different moments. When thinking about them sometimes I would feel kinda nervous and Ill at ease though. I did not feel romantic or sexual attraction for them so I think it was just something in their storyline which affected me more deeply. 

I am not the person who sent the question, but I have similar situation with fictional "crushes", so maybe it's alterous attraction too? It isn't in my case necessarily a case of "something in their storyline affecting me deeply", when their storyline affects me deeply it's a very different kind of feeling; sometimes I experience both things to the same character (but the "real" thing outlives the "crush"), but sometimes I "crush" on someone I have no actual reason to like and stop really liking as soon as the infatuation ceases.

Example: I had a "crush" once on a character who is a pettily nasty person with not a single positive trait shown, is a minor character not developed properly by the text - a mere functional one, and doesn't even have much actual charisma. The only "theoretically likable" things about him were: described as physically pretty, has a kind of bad backstory (his adoptive parent saw him as meant to be evil because his bio father was supposed to be evil, and the narrative never calls the adoptive father out on it, so my pity/indignation with injustice could contribute), has a very rushed kinda-redemption framed emotionally in an obscure adaptation and some charm in a different obscure adaptation. It isn't enough to strongly like a character objectively, but sounds like textbook reasons for a crush. 

Edited by Ekaterina