I need some advice on bitchy friends

Guest qiqi

Question

Guest qiqi

So I(f,20) had a dinner date w 2 other girl friends today evening. They've been good friends throughout and ig have come through sometimes when needed, but have been a bit bitchy as well in the past. 

They're both pretty but not like super pretty, and neither am I. They dress up and wear makeup when we meet and I dress up as well but I don't really like makeup. Today one of them wanted to take pictures and kept saying she looked bad in them. And then she mentioned twice that she looked like me in them and the other girl laughed both times. The second time I wasn't having it and I said it wasn't funny. She started apologizing and saying she didn't mean it like that and that she meant that she felt she looked like a kid(because ig I don't wear makeup like a kid? Idk?) but I wasn't happy anymore. The rest of the dinner we ate awkwardly and she tried apologizing again but I didn't say much after that, I tend to close up when I get upset about something.

Idts I overreacted because I felt unhappy about it and had to express that. Do you think they were bitchy or is this like normal and I'm too sensitive?

2 answers to this question

First off, yeah, they were rude. And, yes, your initial response, "that's not funny" was very good. You didn't overreact at all.

That being said, your expression of being upset should have ended after the initial conversation. Giving her the cold shoulder all night for an issue you've already resolved is also rude (though not on the same level imo), and just creates a new problem. If you couldn't not do that, which is fair, you should have excused yourself with something along the lines of "I'm not mad anymore, but I need some time to cool down".

8 hours ago, Neon said:

First off, yeah, they were rude. And, yes, your initial response, "that's not funny" was very good. You didn't overreact at all.

That being said, your expression of being upset should have ended after the initial conversation. Giving her the cold shoulder all night for an issue you've already resolved is also rude (though not on the same level imo), and just creates a new problem. If you couldn't not do that, which is fair, you should have excused yourself with something along the lines of "I'm not mad anymore, but I need some time to cool down".

But it wasn't resolved. OP didn't feel good about the apology.

I don't think there's anything called "too sensitive". We all have our preferences and values. Maybe for you a value is friends should never insult each other. If so you should find other friends who share this value.