I kind of miss having a relationship :( (vent??)

I used to be in a romantic relationship with my best friend. We dated for a few months, and then I found out I was aromantic and dumped him. We're still best friends, and we're on good terms, but recently my other friend started dating him, and I'm kind of jealous. I know if I got back in a relationship with him, I wouldn't commit and just break up again (plus, I have a tendency to flirt with everyone and be overly sexual, even though I don't want a relationship like that). I just really liked the feeling of being worth something and being important to someone.

This might be my bpd talking idk 

Edited by TwinkieMcdinkie

I can relate to this a LOT.

I don't want romance, at all. Still, I feel a bit jealous when I imagine my close friends or ex partners with other people. Since I was little I also had a really bad habit of leading people on even though I didn't actually want a relationship - maybe as a really messed up way of trying to romanticize my life or make friends? I love the closeness of friendships, while at the same time kind of hate it. (I have looked into QPRs but I'm the type of aro who just can't do close relationships) It always feels amazing to know that you're loved by someone, but for me personally it becomes suffocating after a bit. When I get out of it I feel free, but also want it again. 😂

If it makes any sense I want to love, but how much of that I want reciprocated is iffy.

• Like 2

Guest Sad aro

I relate. Sometimes I feel sad being an aro. I feel that I miss happiness and meaning of life in lack of those feelings. I also have a wish for a partner and some kind of family. I don't feel satisfyed just having friends. I've tried to have relationships and dates but it made me feel very uncomfortable. So I guess a relationship should be different from the norm to fit me. My question is, am I a real aro if I feel sad being an aro? Aren't real aros fine with not falling in love and being singles? Maybe I just reproduce predujices about aros as being not well?

29 minutes ago, Guest Sad aro said:

My question is, am I a real aro if I feel sad being an aro?

Sure!! It can be hard to accept something that goes against pretty much everything society has ever told us. Amanormativity is everywhere. 

31 minutes ago, Guest Sad aro said:

Aren't real aros fine with not falling in love and being singles?

Not necessarily!! Aromanticism is a wide spectrum, so every aromantic person experiences things in a differently. There's no right or wrong way to be aro. Everyone is simply different.

• Like 1

You can be worth something and be important to someone without a romantic relationship. Part of it is having good friends, and part of it is not getting trapped in the “no one can ever love me for real” mindset (I’ve been there). Know your self-worth and eventually other people will know your worth too. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...