Aro’s and relationship anarchy

Ikarus

Aros and relationship anarchy  

23 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

How many aromantics here apply RA to their relationships? 

If you don’t know what im talking about dont worry i’ll try explaining it briefly.

Relationship anarchy rejects the societal norms of “just friends” “in relationship” “fwb” “open relationship”. Instead of accepting these categories and their expectations relationship anarchists start with a clean slate and tailor each relationship to the individuals. 

Furthermore RA believe relationships should not be bound by societal rules, instead rules should be agreed upon mutually by the individuals.

The RA manifesto: https://theanarchistlibrary.org/library/andie-nordgren-the-short-instructional-manifesto-for-relationship-anarchy

The 9 articles of Relationship Anarchy 

Love is abundant, and every relationship is unique

Love and respect instead of entitlement

Find your core set of relationship values

Heterosexism is rampant and out there, but don’t let fear lead you

Build for the lovely unexpected

Fake it til’ you make it 

Trust is better

Change through communication

Customize your commitments

That’s pretty much it. If you have any critiques or ideas on the 9 articles I would like to discuss them.

Edited by Ikarus

I notice that some parts of it are similar to some forms of polyamory, like not having to restrict yourself with just one partner and letting things grow and develop in the way that it naturally does. Just a forming thought, but perhaps polyamory is a form of relationship anarchy?

Personally, I like the concept of it a lot, but I don't see myself using it in real life. I'm romance-repulsed, so being able to clearly say "I am not interested in most romantic-coded activities" and "I want to stay just friends" is helpful for me, and that relies on the foundation of knowing what is typically expected of a friendship vs. romantic relationship. 

My only criticism is that the article was impossible for me read due to eye strain lol

(Disclaimer: I realize many aros don't like the term "just friends," which I totally understand and I don't mean to insinuate that friendships are below romantic relationships. For me personally, I want my friendships to be below on their "priority list," even among their friendships because...well that gets into a whole personal thing, but in short I'm gray-apl/apl-spec and also get exhausted from talking and hanging out with people.)

Edited by Fox
Added disclaimer
  • Like 2

The concept is cool but I have no use of it. The only relationships I need to distinguish are friends, coworkers and acquaintances, and what I expect of it are the same that what society expects, so no need to define these terms myself.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/29/2023 at 12:41 PM, Ikarus said:

How many aromantics here apply RA to their relationships? 

If you don’t know what im talking about dont worry i’ll try explaining it briefly.

Relationship anarchy rejects the societal norms of “just friends” “in relationship” “fwb” “open relationship”. Instead of accepting these categories and their expectations relationship anarchists start with a clean slate and tailor each relationship to the individuals. 

Furthermore RA believe relationships should not be bound by societal rules, instead rules should be agreed upon mutually by the individuals.

The RA manifesto: https://theanarchistlibrary.org/library/andie-nordgren-the-short-instructional-manifesto-for-relationship-anarchy

The 9 articles of Relationship Anarchy 

Love is abundant, and every relationship is unique

Love and respect instead of entitlement

Find your core set of relationship values

Heterosexism is rampant and out there, but don’t let fear lead you

Build for the lovely unexpected

Fake it til’ you make it 

Trust is better

Change through communication

Customize your commitments

That’s pretty much it. If you have any critiques or ideas on the 9 articles I would like to discuss them.

My husband is demisexual/romantic and I’m aromantic and heterosexual. I’m intrinsically and instinctually attracted to women sexually and aesthetically, but I’m way more attracted to men platonically and aesthetically. My attraction to people is very deep once I feel a connection with them, but it takes a LOT of time for me to feel comfortable enough to open up to people even a little bit. I can be attracted to anyone aesthetically very easily, though. My relationship anarchy is mostly with my husband and my friends. My husband is my number one best friend, but he’s also my soulmate and the only person I feel alterously attracted to. I consider friendships to be a type of deep established relationship, too. 

Edited by Candide
  • Like 1