The Poppy War - Rebecca F. Kuang

Keith

Hello!! 

I was wondering - have any of you read "The Poppy War" by Rebecca F. Kuang??

I'm asking because I've been wanting to read it for a while, but I don't know if it's worth it, and I can't ask any of my friends because they haven't read it 💔 

• Like 2

I haven't read it, but whenever I want to find out if a book is worth it, I read a 5, 3 and 1 star review on Goodreads. That usually gives me a good idea why people either love or hate a book, such as 'Oh i just LOVED the broody romance' (yeah ok not for me then) or 'Ugh, I hate how there are so many strong female characters in this book, that's not realistic!' (aight sign me up for this!)

Maybe this technique works for you too :)

• Like 2

I have! I would definitely say it's worth a read, it's actually one of my favorite books :D

The writing's lovely, it's got some really nice morally grey characters, and the author works in a ton of references to Chinese history, which is cool. There's some minor romancey stuff, but it's not too bad. I would mention, though, it's a pretty brutal read, so I would recommend taking a glance at the trigger warnings first :)

• Like 2

On 4/4/2023 at 11:25 AM, Keith said:

Hello!! 

I was wondering - have any of you read "The Poppy War" by Rebecca F. Kuang??

I'm asking because I've been wanting to read it for a while, but I don't know if it's worth it, and I can't ask any of my friends because they haven't read it 💔 

I haven't read it nor have I heard of it.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Rather be Reading said:

The writing's lovely, it's got some really nice morally grey characters, and the author works in a ton of references to Chinese history, which is cool. There's some minor romancey stuff, but it's not too bad. I would mention, though, it's a pretty brutal read, so I would recommend taking a glance at the trigger warnings first :)

Sounds convincing!! Thank you for answering, I'll read it!!