Oct Carnival of Aros: Expression - Looking for Submissions!

October's Carnival of Aros, where bloggers and writers can share their thoughts on various aromantic prompts, is up and running!

This month is hosted on reddit (with a google form submission for folk not on reddit), and the theme is "Expression".

Here's some prompt ideas of what you could write about:

• How do you verbally express your aromantic identity? How do you explain aromanticism to others? Does the way you talk to aromantics differ from how you might talk to alloromantics?

• How do you creatively express your aromantic identity? Are you a writer, painter, drawer, sculptor, musician, dancer, meme creator? Is your work ever inspired by your aromanticism/aromantic experiences? How so? Perhaps you even want to share one of your creations to respond to this month's Carnival (feel free to boost whatever creative social media you have to promote yourself!).

• How do you express pride of your aromanticism? Have you bought pride merch? Maybe you even make/sell pride merch. Maybe you've participated in a Pride event and expressed some aro pride; how did you share your pride or how did people respond to your expression?

• How is your aromanticism expressed in your relationships? Are you an aro in a romantic relationship; if so, how is your aromanticism expressed in your relationship or how does it impact your relationship? Perhaps your aromanticism impacts how you express yourself in other relationships, such as pursuing a queerplatonic relationship or being a loveless aro and navigating platonic relationships with people who may be very free with telling friends "I love you".

I'm actually hosting this month, so if you prefer to share a link to your response here, I'll check back in at the end of the month for you. :)

Cheers to AVEN, where this was considered too potentially dangerous and removed from the forums! *glass clink*

• Like 6

On 10/5/2022 at 2:56 PM, roboticanary said:

ooh, spicy controversy! 😅

Any chance you could tell my why, you've made me really curious now.

Lol, so it's their policy for any surveys to be approved by staff first to make sure they're legitimate. Which I get! When people are submitting to surveys that claim to be privately collecting data for statistical purposes or eventual publishing, especially when they don't have obvious credentials to validate and you aren't sure who's actually collecting the data. But A) Carnival of Aros isn't privately collecting any data - we're compiling public posts. And B) I had posted there for September, had a mod comment on the post, and nobody mentioned anything about approval. Getting the notification this month was just...confusing. xD

It has thankfully been approved by now, and I'm talking with a mod who agreed we shouldn't need approved each month as we're an established group/event, so that will hopefully go smoother in the future, lol.

Edited by hemogoblin
wrong contraction
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, hemogoblin said:

Lol, so it's their policy for any surveys to be approved by staff first to make sure they're legitimate. Which I get! When people are submitting to surveys that claim to be privately collecting data for statistical purposes or eventual publishing, especially when they don't have obvious credentials to validate and you aren't sure who's actually collecting the data. But A) Carnival of Aros isn't privately collecting any data - we're compiling public posts. And B) I had posted there for September, had a mod comment on the post, and nobody mentioned anything about approval. Getting the notification this month was just...confusing. xD

ah, ok that makes sense, well as much sense as it could make.

glad its nothing serious

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/13/2022 at 11:47 AM, roboticanary said:

ah, ok that makes sense, well as much sense as it could make.

glad its nothing serious

Lol, me too!

This post also serves as a notice that we're coming to the close of October, and I haven't received any submissions. If anyone feels like sharing anything, no matter how short or small or messy, please do!

I did write up a response myself, if that provides any inspiration.

As a side note: I'd also love suggestions of where else I could promote the Carnival. Promotion is my official duty, but I don't seem to be reaching very many people. :o