Jump to content

The About in Profile settings


Storm_leopardcat
 Share

Recommended Posts

I had a question, about the profile. When you go to the settings, and edit your profile’s information, is the About Me section not meant to be displayed in the profile publicly? Because I write something there, and when I open my profile it isn’t listed there with the other things like gender or occupation or nickname. Isn’t an About Me supposed to seen by the public or by everyone when they view your profile?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

yes. did you press save or just left the page? if you left the edit profile page then you have to press the save changes button to save your about me section

otherwise i would suggest you to dm a moderator or an admin to help you with it 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Storm_leopardcat said:

I had a question, about the profile. When you go to the settings, and edit your profile’s information, is the About Me section not meant to be displayed in the profile publicly? Because I write something there, and when I open my profile it isn’t listed there with the other things like gender or occupation or nickname. Isn’t an About Me supposed to seen by the public or by everyone when they view your profile?

When I look at your profile, I can see your ‘about me’ when I scroll down and click the arrow next to activity:

8B214CC6-A8E6-494C-A5DC-965BBC3CA774.jpeg.953c121b4ecf6a435c348770909dc42d.jpeg

and then select ‘about me’

E2F296C3-51CE-4FF8-97E4-7C684CB801BB.jpeg.fea228705b1d5d1f6b145b6a79dac665.jpeg

As far as I know that is just how that works, people have to really search for knowledge about you :)

Edited by Nix
Forgot a word
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

yes, @Nix is right, this is how it works

(although the about me section is more noticeable on desktop just due to page layout, it is public and fairly noticeable) i've picked a random user to show you what i mean.

1355955105_Screenshotfrom2022-09-2918-47-23.jpg.38537c980c9cbe477e2f6ef87a98a537.jpg

so it is there, its just the way the pages are currently tiled it is hidden.

i make no claim that this is the best way though, its just been this way since well before i turned up.

i suppose it is a matter of visibility in the space vs how much you can write. i could probably work out how to put about me in the left sidebar, say under personal information. the upside of that is it would be more easy to find and view, the downside is that you then have less room to write before it starts looking silly just because of fitting the text in that space.

with this setup when about me is opened, you basically have a full page to express whatever you want about yourself (within reason), but its less visible especially on mobile

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/29/2022 at 5:16 PM, sevan said:

yes. did you press save or just left the page? if you left the edit profile page then you have to press the save changes button to save your about me section

otherwise i would suggest you to dm a moderator or an admin to help you with it 

Yes, I did save it. It took me a few times of repeating it, but it eventually became saved and was displayed on my profile. 

On 9/29/2022 at 10:37 PM, Nix said:

people have to really search for knowledge about you :)

Hmm, what is that supposed to mean, now? ;)

On 9/29/2022 at 11:15 PM, roboticanary said:

although the about me section is more noticeable on desktop just due to page layout, it is public and fairly noticeable)

That is exactly what I thought as well. 

 

On 9/29/2022 at 11:15 PM, roboticanary said:

i suppose it is a matter of visibility in the space vs how much you can write. i could probably work out how to put about me in the left sidebar, say under personal information. the upside of that is it would be more easy to find and view, the downside is that you then have less room to write before it starts looking silly just because of fitting the text in that space

Yeah, that’s what I thought. Pros and cons. I think I would prefer the desktop version of the website/its layout more, than mobile’s version of either. 

Pros and cons, pros and cons. 

Thank you, everyone, for responding to my question and helping me out so much! All of you took out the time and effort to give me an answer to this one question! :D @sevan, @Nix, and @roboticanary!

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...