Points and Badges

Storm_leopardcat

Can someone explain the points system to me? And how you get badges and achievements? 

Are achievements and badges a same thing or different? Like badges are achievements you already required and achievement is a badge you currently have/hold? I couldn’t find anything about it in the forum rules section, that’s why I’m asking.

How many points are required to get each badge?

I apologise if something similar to this post has already been made.

@Storm_leopardcat

no worries, the badges are new and i dont think this has been explained on here before.

short answer is, you earn points by commenting.

badges, earn a certain number of points, get a badge.your achievements is just a general name for the part of your profile which shows your badges, rank and number of answers (rated as an answer by the asker in anonymous q&a)

your rank (which i think is what you are looking at when you say achievement as it is on the left side of that achievement panel) should be again based on the number  of points you hold. I'll have to double check the exact scores at some point but it should be that if you are a member you would have rank member and badges for newbie and member. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, roboticanary said:

@Storm_leopardcat

no worries, the badges are new and i dont think this has been explained on here before.

short answer is, you earn points by commenting.

badges, earn a certain number of points, get a badge.your achievements is just a general name for the part of your profile which shows your badges, rank and number of answers (rated as an answer by the asker in anonymous q&a)

your rank (which i think is what you are looking at when you say achievement as it is on the left side of that achievement panel) should be again based on the number  of points you hold. I'll have to double check the exact scores at some point but it should be that if you are a member you would have rank member and badges for newbie and member. 

Thank you so much! I appreciate the explanation! I didn’t know they were new, I assumed they had been always been there or weren’t recent additions, as no one talked about them or mentioned to them. 

Oh, so the badges thing is sort of like karma on Reddit? 

Again, thank you for the explanation! I appreciate the time you took to write it. 

~N

90C15B07-9AD5-4B2D-86F5-975E78FBACD7.png.7a58f3d5b38729c2729d118360c6bcf1.png

That section is what I was referring to. Sorry for not cropping the image, and for using someone else’s (I don’t have any badges yet, I think, so the page won’t show like that). I can remove it, or crop it, if anyone has a problem with it. 

• Like 1

not a problem.

yeah, karma is a good analogy. although karma is about upvotes rather than number of posts, the points here go up whether or not people like what you say.

As far as i know there were always ranks, but they didn't have cool frogs until @Nixmade some art for them. 

its somewhere in this thread where the idea came about.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, roboticanary said:

not a problem.

yeah, karma is a good analogy. although karma is about upvotes rather than number of posts, the points here go up whether or not people like what you say.

As far as i know there were always ranks, but they didn't have cool frogs until @Nixmade some art for them. 

its somewhere in this thread where the idea came about.

So you earn one point for each post or comment you make? What about reactions? 

The art thread is a cool idea! And I’m glad that @Nixmade art for the badges, that’s nice of her! Thank you @Nix! They must have looked plain before (what did they look like?). 

Also, thank you for further commenting and giving me information! I appreciate it, and the time you took to reply!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Storm_leopardcat said:

Thank you @Nix! They must have looked plain before (what did they look like?). 

You are very welcome! I don’t have a picture of what they looked like before, but they were similar in style to the ‘hand’ and ‘shield’ icons you see with new members and admins respectively. So simple blue and white space themed icons. But @DeltaAro and I are working on changing those to! Check the ‘badges’ topic if you want to see the progress :)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Nix said:

You are very welcome! I don’t have a picture of what they looked like before, but they were similar in style to the ‘hand’ and ‘shield’ icons you see with new members and admins respectively. So simple blue and white space themed icons. But @DeltaAro and I are working on changing those to! Check the ‘badges’ topic if you want to see the progress :)

Ooh! That’s very interesting! Perhaps that thread should be pinned somewhere, maybe? 

May I make a recommendation? Please make a post in the rules of the forum page about the points (or add it to the already existing post about the forum and its rules), badges and achievements, and how many points are required to get each badge (or how many posts you have to make to get each badge). 

I apologise for any grammar or spelling mistakes!

6 hours ago, Storm_leopardcat said:

May I make a recommendation? Please make a post in the rules of the forum page about the points (or add it to the already existing post about the forum and its rules), badges and achievements, and how many points are required to get each badge (or how many posts you have to make to get each badge). 

good idea. I'll get something written up soon.

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/26/2022 at 5:41 AM, Storm_leopardcat said:

They must have looked plain before (what did they look like?). 

Generally this board is based on Invison, which uses FontAwesome icons (sadly only a small subset - the full FontAwesome also has some frog icons).

But there weren't really different badges, it was the exact same rocket icon for all members.

And yeah, FontAwesome icons are very plain, but that's kind of the point. They're supposed to be usable for a wide variety of websites.

• Like 2