foriegn language music

roboticanary

interesting thing came up in the last aromantic social. the idea of enjoying listening to music in languages you dont understand which means you don't get loads of romantic lyrics.

Is this something people here do? if you do are there any songs you particularly like because of that?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Nix said:

I do! I really like listening to Eivør (Faroese singer-songwriter) for that specific reason. Also ‘The Hu’ (Mongolian folk-metal band) is great :)

Never heard of them. Sounds very interesting, must try it out.😄

On 8/1/2022 at 9:21 PM, roboticanary said:

Is this something people here do? if you do are there any songs you particularly like because of that?

I'm not a giant fan of Shakira, but you have to admit she's great in her genre. I like all her songs with Portuguese lyrics. If I just don't watch the music video, I can pretend they're not about romantic love.

Her English lyrics OTOH... yeah no... I mean even for romantic standards they're quite cringe.

The problem is that I learned Latin. And so sometimes I vaguely understand a bit of Portuguese and the illusion that a song like "La Tortura" is really about aromanticism :aropride: is shattered... 😀

Oh regarding Latin lyrics, sorry for the off-topic stuff: but I'm always super-excited if Latin lyrics appear in video games and anime. I mean, I was put through years and years of misery learning this language. By very angry Latin teachers (the centurion from Monty Python "Romanes eunt domus" comes pretty close). So if I encounter Latin in 21st century media I'm very happy and can say to myself: It was not all in vain! OK, this is the opposite: I enjoy listening to such music because I understand it.

Edited by DeltaV
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, roboticanary said:

la tortura means 'the tortoise', who is going to go on an adventure with all his friends. right?

Oh.... aro turtle and their friends 🐢🐢:aropride:. Sooo cute. I love it.

• Like 2