I feel scared to be myself in my home

MaxIsCosmic

Question

today my dad sat me for a two hour long talk on how my being trans,aro and gay was just a phase and I would "get over it" I had to lie to him and uncome out to him I told him it was just a phase and I feel like a coward for doing it.  this isn't the first time this has happened. my dysphoria is getting really bad and I can't stop crying. and I know he's trying to help and do his best and that this is just how parents are but I just want to be myself and not have to hide. I don't want to him to yell at me again and I don't know what to do if you have any advice please tell me. 

Edited by Spadster
  • Like 1

3 answers to this question

That is NOT just how parents are. Some parents may use that excuse, but there is no excuse for that kind of behavior. My own parents have been nothing but supportive to my brother in his transition. I promise you this is not the way it has to be, you deserve better for this and you should have better than this. I'm so sorry you're experiencing this, but it's no one's fault but your dad, and if he were really trying to help he'd get over himself and whatever shitty beliefs he's learned and open his eyes.

I would recommend maybe trying to talk to other adults you know who might be supportive. If they can maybe get through to your dad, that'd be great, if not, at least they can be a supportive adult figure for you to go to instead. I hope you stay safe, and that your dad seriously comes to his senses. You deserve better than this.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

If your dad was doing his best he would try to understand you. As Jot-Aro Kujo said, it would be a good idea to talk to other adults if it is safe for you, so that they talk to your dad. I know it is scary to be open about who you are and who do you want to be. As well as you, I also uncome out to my parents a few times because I felt pressured to be someone I am not, and that feels like shit. If it is hard for you to talk face-to-face with your dad, you could try to write him a card explaining ALL your feelings. If he thinks this is a phase, you could say something like 'even if it is a phase (and I don't think so), I need you to support me, and to try to understand me'.

I hope things get better soon, good luck.

• Like 1

My parents did this to me, but FORCED me to come out as genderfluid and then they told me that it was "just a phase" and that "God made me to be a wonderful girl" They also tell me all the time "God made you to be a girl. Don't you believe in God?" ((And for the record, I'm hellenistic and don't follow christian beliefs))