Help me pick out songs for covers!

Will

Anyone got any idea's on what songs I should cover for my next two song EP? 2 are done so far, mixing and mastering needed. two more are half way or so. Need another two songs.

Here's how to pick! Anything 'Emo', 'Pop Punk ', 'Post-Hardcore' or 'Post-Punk' from 2001-2006.

Examples :

Emo - Taking Back sunday

Pop Punk - Blink 182 (No green day please )

Post-Hardcore : Escape the fate

Post-Punk - New Order

Please note I'm working with a female vocal performance major and a mixing/mastering company, so keep in mind it will come out professional and the original vocals should not be 'too low' or else we'd have to change the key (which would be a pain but do-able)

What are your criteria, Will? Do you want to pick bands that don't suck, or bands that are popular and suck to show by how much you can outperform them? xD And what's the milestone that happened in 2006 that has made you use that year as a cutoff?

Anyway, from my observation, the 'Fab Four' most favorite bands overall (that all happen to have been active in 2001-06 and be emo / punk) of young female / nonbinary AVENites are My Chemical Romance, Fall Out Boy, A Day To Remember and Paramore :D 

I don't listen to those genres, though, and even if I do, it's post-hardcore of the 2010s so I'm of no help here.

13 minutes ago, aroMa(n)tisse said:

Anyway, from my observation, the 'Fab Four' most favorite bands overall (that all happen to have been active in 2001-06 and be emo / punk) of young female / nonbinary AVENites are My Chemical Romance, Fall Out Boy, A Day To Remember and Paramore :D 

I don't listen to those genres, though, and even if I do, it's post-hardcore of the 2010s so I'm of no help here.

^YES TO EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THESE!!!!

Would Evanescence count too or are they not punk enough for what you want?

2001-2006 is my favorite era of music, so far. mostly because it has most of my favorite albums in it :P

Though if more new grave bands keep poppin' up, I'll probably name the next few years so xD

2010 era is good but too much ' 0-0-0-1b-0-0-0-0-/12-0-0-0-0' , which a lot of bands pulled off right but it's so overdone now .___. xD 

10 hours ago, ArodynamicallyFavored said:

Would Evanescence count too or are they not punk enough for what you want?

I dig them more than any of the above (except maybe ADTR that's close to metalcore), but that's exactly because they play gothic(/nu/alternative) metal (and Amy Lee is considered an icon of (Victorian) gothic fashion) :P http://southpark.cc.com/clips/et2nwr/what-is-the-difference There's a noticeable difference in the sound, heard when playing Evanescence's 'Fallen' back-to-back with some random emo and punk albums - the former is slower, heavier/lower and explores darker themes. I guess the slow rhythm is the main reason why Will is unlikely to cover it.

10 hours ago, Will said:

2010 era is good but too much ' 0-0-0-1b-0-0-0-0-/12-0-0-0-0' , which a lot of bands pulled off right but it's so overdone now .___. xD

Well, that explains why I prefer this era because, as you know, I'm addicted too much to 00000... xD

@Will I was wondering why the guitars in Paramore's most famous song, 'Decode',

Spoiler

sound a bit too slow (zzzz) to me, and I've noticed a similarity between it and your demo track. It looks as though both are played in 4/4 at ~165 BPM as far as the drums but the guitars are in 8/4 (compound quadruple) O.o (I.e. the tracks would sound more like 'conventional' punk if the guitars were sped up 1.7x but the drums were slowed down 1.2x and slightly rewritten, so that everything is in 4/4 at 140 BPM. Forgive me if I'm wrong, I'm musically illiterate. In practice, when I accelerate 'Decode' 1.5-1.7x in Winamp with the Pacemaker plugin, it sounds reasonable to me :D)

If you're going to make this a signature tempo of your band (pun intended; slowing the guitars down has benefits too - it allows to reverb more prominently :arolove:), then I think 'Decode' is a decent match for you (if your vocalist can handle it), though it was released as late as 2008, because Twilight Saga fans are a target audience of 'new grave', and because your gf (like any alloromantic/allosexual who is in a couple with an aro/ace) can relate to the song :D (you can't read her romantic urges like Edward couldn't read Bella's thoughts).

I enjoy 0-0-0-0-0-0 when it's done in a fashion of my liking. I like most of it and don't destain it but I do not appreciate it as much as I have in the past.  Bring me the horizons's song ' visions ' from their album hell/heaven is my kind of open note riffage as of late.

and for my demo...actually...it's 170. which is a close match up to be honest.  Meh, I just roll with my own style for the moment. I'm influenced by a lot and i am  going for the  new grave sound but my own version of it.  Who knows though. Maybe to whatever label I get signed to will have me do a slower tempo for some ballads or speed it up for some heavier punk style.  

A bit more honest and may sound naive, I'd love to keep my sound original as possible that I enjoy the most and what comes to mind in my writing. I know producers try to make it more marketable and more enjoyable to a general targeted audience, at least a fair amount do. I'm hoping to work with a producer who will not just say "Do this" but will adapt and say "That's cool, let's try it this way a little more and if you don't like it, we can try something else".

The producer I'm talking about is not a god tier monetary wise but he's a bit pricey (Probably 5k-8k for an EP, less if he actually likes my music [in theory]).

In all fairness though, I understand I'm no bob dylan or some other good song writer. My lyrics are poop but my song structure is decent, my riffs are alright and my drums can hold their own weight in relation to the song. 

With all this said, I'm hoping to work with that certain producer to improve my writing , not as much as possible... but to make it so I can improve to a point of fluid writing that's something I personally want to do 100% and marketable to a targeted audience , without sacrificing my own integrity (Cause I got 'in fucking tegrity - slc punk) so I can be touring a lot and enjoy the pure essence of it. That is music. 

Archived