Aromanticism needs more visibility (Just rambling)

Thiel

Hi everyone!

Well, this is my first interaction with the aro community so nice to meet you. English isn't my first language, so sorry if I make any mistakes.

I'm in my late 20s and questioning if I'm aromantic. I've always thought that a romantic relationship was like having a best friend you had sex with, but seeing my friends with their partners, I assume I was wrong.

I have been in 3 relationships before but I never wanted a future with them nor I needed to be with them all the time. In my last realtionship I even felt romance repulsed during the last few months, but I didn't know romance repulsion was a thing, so I felt terrible because he was a nice guy and it was obvious he was suffering because I wasn't as involved in the relationship as he was. I didn't knew you could be aromantic so I didn't know what was happening with me.

I've had 2 friends with benefits and those have been the best relationships I've ever had. I wanted that kind of relationship but with more commitment, maybe I wanted to be QPRs? I'm not really sure.

I think that more aromantic visibility would have made me question my romantic orientation earlier, which would have been helpful.

So, that's it, that's all my rant. Thanks for reading.

• Like 3

Rant all you want here. Yes, I do think that more aro-spec visibility is crucial for a better future. Feeling broken is not something I wish to anyone. However, lets celebrate the small victories. You are here, you discovered, or are discovering, your romantic orientation. You got to this part, so you didn't die feeling broken. 

Others will follow, this forum is a resource for us, and also it is a start in visibility. Think on where we gonna be in a few years, more people, more connections. I saw that there is a work on an app. We are making progress ^^ so live today,celebrate the small battles cuz I won't lie, we are somewhat invisible, but the moment the world acknowledges our existence, they will try to erase us for being different. We are part of a community that is marginalized in every corner, but together I believe we can do it. The old people with close views of the world are dying. In a few years, more of us (lgbtqa+ community), will get into positions if power and it will  get easier. That is what I believe at least.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Blake said:

Others will follow, this forum is a resource for us, and also it is a start in visibility. Think on where we gonna be in a few years, more people, more connections. I saw that there is a work on an app. We are making progress ^^ so live today,celebrate the small battles cuz I won't lie, we are somewhat invisible, but the moment the world acknowledges our existence, they will try to erase us for being different. 

An app? You mean someone's making an Aro-spec Tinder? Because that would be amazing! I was wondering how did people find QPPs.

Thanks for replying to my rant, it's always nice to read someone else's perspective.