Whatup.

Warhawk

Hey there,

I'm Warhawk, but I also just like to go by Hawk online. I always describe myself as someone who 'likes birds, fantasy, and heavy fuckin' metal.' I've been identifying as Aro for a while, but I hadn't been around many other very aro spaces. I'm sex positive, but to be honest, sometimes it feels like as an ace, you're expected to be some sort of 'ace, but happily in a 100% innocent romantic relationship'. The idea that we should fit into a romantic, or sexual norm despite the differences of who we are. Note that I'm not at all knocking aces like this, I love all a-specs, just that it feels like what people expect of you to be sometimes.

I've never really been interested in a romantic relationship. I get lonely, I wouldn't mind a life partner, but whenever the romantic or sexual baggage began to appear, it really started to put me off a lot. Some people like to think my identity somehow makes me more emotionally mature or smarter than others since I'm 'not driven by attraction or lust', but I always hated that as well. Just cause I take being lonely really well, and don't want a romantic relationship, doesn't mean I'm particularly special, and whatnot. Similarly, my own self-doubt and depression can make me feel like I'm just some loser in denial, who's never tried.

Anyways, I'm glad to find so many other people that are aros like me, always good company.

A bit more about me, I enjoy writing, and wish to be an author one day, but professionally I'm a student studying geography. I love heavy metal, especially extreme forms of metal. I'm a very avid birder as well, always trying to improve my bird photography.

Nice to meet you all!

Edited by Warhawk
  • Like 3

@Warhawk Hello, and welcome to Arocalypse! I like your name and your profile picture. I have a bird at my house. She's an African Grey.

I suppose I get what you mean about being seen as more mature because of a lack of interest in romantic/sexual endeavors. I don't mind it much, but you're right in that it doesn't make us any better or more special than people who do have interests in romantic/sexual endeavors. If you and I had those interests, we might as well be "immature" ourselves!

Based on your profile name and that you like heavy metal, have you heard of the band Sabaton? I'm attracted to their music, as a part of me is intrigued by war, hardship, and discipline.

P.S.,

I'm surprised that no one has commented here before I did, given that you started this welcome thread more than 5 hours ago.

22 minutes ago, RepublicServicesVolunteer said:

@Warhawk Hello, and welcome to Arocalypse! I like your name and your profile picture. I have a bird at my house. She's an African Grey.

I suppose I get what you mean about being seen as more mature because of a lack of interest in romantic/sexual endeavors. I don't mind it much, but you're right in that it doesn't make us any better or more special than people who do have interests in romantic/sexual endeavors. If you and I had those interests, we might as well be "immature" ourselves!

Based on your profile name and that you like heavy metal, have you heard of the band Sabaton? I'm attracted to their music, as a part of me is intrigued by war, hardship, and discipline.

P.S.,

I'm surprised that no one has commented here before I did, given that you started this welcome thread more than 5 hours ago.

Quiet hours I suppose. And nice! I'm considering a pair of pigeons myself, but that's when I can get into a situation where I won't have to possibly rehome.

Yes, I have heard of Sabaton, but I really don't get the hype, lol. Can't get into them. When it comes to "War Metal" I'm more into the actual genre of blackened death metal. Blasphemy, Archgoat, Sarcofago, Diocletian, if you know them. Power is still a fun genre, though. I lean towards greats like Manilla Road, Cirith Ungol, Visigoth, and Blind Guardian. If you like the theme of war, and are partial to death metal, I'll always recommend the one and only Bolt Thrower. Amazing death metal that you can apply to either real war, or Warhammer.

I'd love to share recs anytime, lol. I've wasted too many hours of my life listening to album after album.

Edited by Warhawk

Hi, welcome

Something I have been noticing over the past while is that a lot of aromantics seem into some sort of metal music, quite a few people have pointed out that it tends to be far less focussed on romance than other genres.

I only know a couple of the bands you mention but Blind Guardian I remember quite well and I suspect that is partly because they made an entire album based on the Silmarilion which was such a happy moment for a young nerd. Like wow, people can make songs about things that aren't love, and they make whole albums. Sign me up, that's fantastic.

2 hours ago, roboticanary said:

Hi, welcome

Something I have been noticing over the past while is that a lot of aromantics seem into some sort of metal music, quite a few people have pointed out that it tends to be far less focussed on romance than other genres.

I only know a couple of the bands you mention but Blind Guardian I remember quite well and I suspect that is partly because they made an entire album based on the Silmarilion which was such a happy moment for a young nerd. Like wow, people can make songs about things that aren't love, and they make whole albums. Sign me up, that's fantastic.

Yep. You're probably right on that about ace metalheads, just wish I'd meet some at a show, lol. My biggest frustration with anything; you create some song, or perhaps a piece of fiction. You name it "Dragon." Why is it called Dragon? There's no Dragon, idiot! The name is a personification of my feeling towards sexual frustration and love!

In heavy metal, you name something "Dragon", you're singing about a fucking dragon.

It's probably why I like Type O, but I'm not apart of the massive hype they get. They were popular because they brought doom metal into a more contemporary framework of lyrics about love, sex and heartbreak. Granted, there's a lot of doom metal that I absolutely adore that focus on those themes, but it feels a lot more universal towards depression in general.

Blind Guardian is always fun; there's a whole world of Tolkien themed metal out there. If you're willing to dip into Black Metal, Summoning bases all of their music off of Tolkien, and I recommend their worship band as well, Caladan Brood, which covers them a couple times, but also has songs about Malazan. Emyn Muil is also great Tolkien-music and Summoning worship, but also dips hard into epic-ambient type music, arguably one of their albums is hardly metal. but it's still good shit and I recommend.

• Like 1