Should I change my name?

Okay so I recently discovered that I am nonbinary, and I was wondering if I should change my name. If you were wondering, my name is Eva (pronounced Ava) and I'm not really sure if I should change it. I mean I would be okay with keeping it or changing it, but I don't know if it would change people's first impression. Like if the heard my current name, would they assume that I am a girl, or feminine. I dont want people assuming that I'm a female, I would much rather have someone ask my gender, or in my case what to call me. And if you do think I should change my name, do you have any suggestions?

Upon first hearing it, I would agree that it may sound feminine. However, if you like it, then you should keep it, if it makes you uncomfortable, then you can change it. If you're indifferent to it, see if you're okay with keeping it or you want to change it. It's all up to you.

• Like 2

One part of nonbinary persons doesn’t change their name and the second one changes. It really depends on you if you want to change it, there’s no ’should’ or ’shouldn’t’. And there’s nothing wrong if you would like to change your name but aren’t sure which one fits you. The one thing I can recommend to you is to check lists of gender neutral names, some of them can be a surprise.

I’m neutrois and I’ve already used many names. Danilo, Dani, Danilo Henrique, Bruno Danilo and now I’m using Rony/Rony Danilo.

• Like 1

Many people feel like they have to change their presentation after they discover they're non-binary, but you don't own anyone anything. You can be nb and present however you want, even if the name/clothing/pronouns you choose are associated with the gender you were assigned at birth. Don't want to change your name yet? That's cool, I'm non-binary and only use feminine names. Change is only needed if it makes you happier.

• Like 3

So after hearing a couple of people's opinions, I think I'm going to "change" my name as a social construct. So with my friends or classmates, I will have them address me as my new name, and then my family can address me as my name assigned at birth, because that's where it feels most comfortable. Thanks for helping me figure it out!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Confused Artist said:

So after hearing a couple of people's opinions, I think I'm going to "change" my name as a social construct. So with my friends or classmates, I will have them address me as my new name, and then my family can address me as my name assigned at birth, because that's where it feels most comfortable. Thanks for helping me figure it out!

Good luck, friend!

• Thanks 1