Considering Top Surgery (AFAB)

Caqa294

Question

I'm considering having top surgery (I'm AFAB with a larger sized chest)

What considerations should I do/how do I know if it is right for me or not?

PS I have dysphoria about my chest (not just its appearance but also the fact that so much fat exists on my body and they often feel fake or like they are not part of me.)

3 answers to this question

it took me several months of ruminating on the subject to figure out that i /definitely/ want top surgery, so i'd say give yourself time. don't pressure yourself to figure it out /right now/ because identity and transition can be confusing as fuck! research. research top surgery styles, top surgeons, peoples' experiences, how recovery works, all of that. the more educated you are, the better, and it'll let you make a more informed decision. also, something that was helpful for me, was learning to differentiate between what dysphoria feels like to you vs what dysmorphia feels like to you, because that can help you gain a deeper understanding of what it is that you want. think of yourself in the future, what do you look like? what feels /right/ when thinking about the body you have, the bodies you could have? IMPORTANT NOTE: this is the shit that was helpful for me, but that doesn't mean it'll be helpful for you. at the end of the day, my advice boils down to know thineself, and give it time. think about it, let the thoughts steep and ferment. research, read, watch- educate yourself. it's confusing and hard, there's no doubt about that. there's also no doubt that this is a very individual thing, and there's no real one-size-fits-all advice. think about what feels right and good to you. that's what's important. you should feel safe and comfortable and good.

best of luck! ❤️  (u can always dm me on here if u wanna talk more abt this)

• Thanks 1

so, yeah, I'm now saving up for top surgery. :)

It will be a few years but researching, reflecting, and talking to my therapist about it has helped a lot.

I personally knew i wanted top as soon as i realised it was an option, but its not uncommon for trans or NB people to not want surgery at all, or take time figuring out if they do or don't. The best thing you can really do is look into it, genuinely. Deep dive into surgical procedures, look at before and after photos. (Obviously be careful! Don't trigger yourself.) If you want even, try getting referred to a surgeon. I recently just had a consultation with my surgeon this past month, and talking with her really helped me sort out the needed details without having to have anything paid for or set up with any solidity. Good luck on whatever you decide to go ahead with!

• Thanks 1