Moving to stay closer to friend

I have a really special best friend, who I've only known for one school year but have tried to be friends with enough people to know that friends like her are very hard to find. She was talking to me today about ideas about where she might want to live after college. I kind of feel like I would rather be close to her anywhere than not, a feeling that has become stronger because of how hard it was not being able to see her during my state's lockdown that is just starting to ease up now, and she seems open to that though she isn't looking for anything labelled as more than a friendship with me but says she doesn't see why friendships should be any less important than romantic relationships and she considers me family. I'm noticing by searching online that moving to stay close to a best friend doesn't seem to be a thing to most of society, as all search results when I look it up are either about just becoming roommates presumably in the same area or about friends moving away. Does anyone else have any ideas about this?

Edited by DavidMS703
  • Like 3

wow it sounds like you have found someone really special, someone who understands friendship mow many of us aro-spec peeps understand friendship!

The word 'friend' is understood in so many different ways. For example I had a friend who regularly claimed to love me like family, yet I never went to any of their family events and they moved out of the state without telling me. Or a more senior coworker calling me his friend when all I did was the social reaction of a nervous underling who wanted a promotion, we didn't even interact outside of work hours! anyway, those people seem to be in the majority, that is why those sorts of internet articles are so common. 

Long distance relationships are hard, and even harder if they are friendships because I find friendships are based so much on shared events and at least in my case there was misunderstandings about what friendship means and how (irr)replaceable it is. 

I think that you should stay with the people who make you a better person. Sometimes it is hard to know who that is, sometimes it is hard to do the staying together because of life and sometimes the other person won't want to stay. But if you have the chance or opportunity then do it! 

• Thanks 1

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...

It sounds like you have an awesome BFF and it's amazing that you feel so close to her. I totally get why you'd want to stay close to her, friends like her are truly rare and precious. Moving to be near a friend can definitely be a big decision, but if it's what makes you happy then go for it! It's always great to have a support system close by, especially after all the craziness of the past year with the lockdowns. If you do decide to make a move, check out Aceline Moving acelinemoving.com for all your moving needs in NJ. Just remember, don't let society dictate what's important in your life. If you and your friend are happy with your relationship, that's all that matters.

Edited by eleafpod

I don't know exactly how it will go in the future but we are both staying in the area we grew up in for now. I am forming more close friendships than I had at that time too, and I also don't know how it will work because she was thinking of moving to Florida as her family members want to live there and she would rather be close to them, but with all the stuff that has been going on in Florida and other red states lately I feel more comfortable continuing to live in a blue state.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Hey there! It sounds like you have a really special friendship with your best friend, and it's great that you're considering moving closer to her. While it may not be a common thing, there's nothing wrong with wanting to live close to someone who is important to you, whether they are a romantic partner or a close friend. As for tips on the actual move, you might want to consider reaching out to Three Movers for some advice or assistance. Best of luck with everything!

Edited by PATRICK SUNDAY
  • Like 1