#GiveCaptainAmericaABoyfriend

breaddd

I think we would need all sorts of aro and ace representation, sometimes even stereotypical ones. There are aros who prefer to live like hermits and there are aros who are social butterflies and they both deserve to see themselves represented in stories. These traits aren't negative, just maybe less popular.

The problem with stereotypes is when there is nothing else just clichés and the character isn't shown as a person who is x, but as The X and nothing else.

All kinda of representation are important, but since there's so little of it, any canon ace or aro character will often be the only example of an aro/ace person and so it's super easy to reinforce stereotypes.

Therefore, it's clear. We just need to create our own successful action franchise! :P

On 5/27/2016 at 1:13 AM, Dodecahedron314 said:

On the one hand, I totally agree that there needs to be more representation of every MOGAI identity out there, and considering the amount of people who already support this ship, I think that if ever the Marvel/Disney conglomerate wanted to take that leap into *gasp* progressivism, this would probably be one of the most feasible places to do it. On the other hand, it really gets on my nerves to no end how whenever there's a friendship that's stronger than how friendships are normally portrayed, people immediately say "NO that's too strong it must be romantic!!!11!!!1!!". We need representation of very emotionally significant friendships just as much as we need representation of same-gender relationships, in my mind. However, I'm also very aware that "they're just friends" has also been used to erase same-gender couples since essentially forever, so I don't think there's really a right answer in this situation.

Easy: no m/w ships at all. Men and women are from now on ONLY allowed to be friends in pop culture. Same gender ships and healthy platonic m/w friendships will reign. *bangs lesbian gavel*

On 5/30/2016 at 1:49 PM, The singleton said:

Why does he need a boyfriend or girlfriend at all. I'm against "forcing" any character to be something they're not for the sole purpose of making a political statement. There is actually a lot of gay representation in mainstream media anymore, isn't there? It seems every movie or TV show I watch has gay characters and they have relationships on them. What we don't have are happily single people being portrayed in mainstream media. That's a hashtag I can get behind. 

No. There is not "a lot of gay representation" and you sound like a cishet whining about "homosexuality being shoved in their face". And could you not derail a topic about homophobia to make it all about you?

Archived