am I aro?

glittergal52

Hiya,

I’m fourteen and you can call me Thi. I’ve been thinking lately about where I fall on the romantic spectrum (if that’s what it called?). I identified as bi for a while, and then as gay and now I’m questioning whether anything I’ve felt is actually romantic feelings or not. I came here for some help :)

This is a list of reasons why I think I’m aro-

1. I think I’ve experienced crushes but the way I felt is different to the way other people have described crushes. I didn’t have butterflies in my stomach at the thought of them and they weren’t constantly on my mind or anything. 

2. Weddings and relationships don’t exactly confuse me but I don’t see the point of them and I certainly don’t ever want to get married. 

3. I’ve been in relationships before with people I thought I had crushes on, but once we started dating I felt kind of trapped and I was relieved when they broke up with me. 

4. The thought of kissing someone kind of grossed me out? It just seems like a weird thing to do. 

I’m very confused right now, and it would be great if I could get a second (or third or fourth) opinion on this. Thank you :)

Edited by glittergal52

Hello and welcome!

I think a great first step for you to help you figure out more for yourself is to go over to the topic "you might be aro if..."  It helped me figure out how others have felt and made me a lot more sure based on others. 

Just by those four points, I think those point towards aromanticism. It can look different for a lot of people though. 

I had my first kiss at sixteen, and I thought I wouldn't like it, but I ended up being wrong. :) 

You're a step ahead of me by finding this forum at fourteen. Just knowing that this was an okay way to live life was amazing for me. You should do what you feel comfortable doing and do what makes you feel happy! 

I wish you luck on your journey!!

8 hours ago, Trebela Fortissimo said:

Hello and welcome!

I think a great first step for you to help you figure out more for yourself is to go over to the topic "you might be aro if..."  It helped me figure out how others have felt and made me a lot more sure based on others. 

Just by those four points, I think those point towards aromanticism. It can look different for a lot of people though. 

I had my first kiss at sixteen, and I thought I wouldn't like it, but I ended up being wrong. :) 

You're a step ahead of me by finding this forum at fourteen. Just knowing that this was an okay way to live life was amazing for me. You should do what you feel comfortable doing and do what makes you feel happy! 

I wish you luck on your journey!!

23 minutes ago, time-is-ticking said:

I, an aromantic, relate a lot to what you're describing, if that helps.

The crushes you're experiencing might be what many people describe as "squishes" 

Good luck in your questioning! 

Thank you both so much! I’ve decided to wait for a bit and let myself figure stuff out before I tell anyone. I think that I’m at least on the aro spectrum but I’m not sure where I fit. I’ll figure it out eventually but thank you both so much :)