Sensory attraction

Didisansmagie

I guess some people have scent attraction but not visual attraction, or auditory attraction, or something... But at that point, we have to split it into... I'm going to say 3, because when you realize that you're touch attracted to someone, it's probably a little into the relationship, and "taste attracted" even later.... 

But, I think "aesthetic" includes at least visual and hearing... Touch probably fits under "sensual".... 

@Didisansmagie I'm not sure what you mean by "split attraction model" in this case, but setting that aside...

Yes, people have been using the concept of sensual attraction here and there since at least as early as 2006, probably before that as well. I've also seen at least one person apply the concept of aesthetic/sensual attraction to attraction to voices, as one example.

1 hour ago, LBMango said:

when you realize that you're touch attracted to someone, it's probably a little into the relationship

Not my experience.

• Like 2

i thought that attraction can be based on any sense, but it just describes what the material you receive makes you feel?? like sexual attraction could be based on what the person looks like, what their voice is like, what they actually say, how they smell, etc. but if it makes you wanna have sex with them, then it's sexual attraction

with aesthetic it's usually focused on visual cues, but its possible to enjoy someone's voice and think it'd be nice to listen to them, for example

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Coyote said:

[I said: when you realize that you're touch attracted to someone, it's probably a little into the relationship]

Not my experience.

By this I meant not that you WANT to touch someone, which is can occur totally visually, but that you touch someone and they "feel nice". It seems like you already probably know someone before you notice that their skin feels nice... But maybe that's just me...

On 2/18/2020 at 9:19 PM, LBMango said:

it's probably a little into the relationship, and "taste attracted" even later.... 

Since (I hope) nobody desires to eat humans here, I wonder what taste attraction is? So is it about ... licking?⁉️ Would still be strange imho.

On 2/19/2020 at 3:57 PM, LBMango said:

By this I meant not that you WANT to touch someone, which is can occur totally visually, but that you touch someone and they "feel nice". It seems like you already probably know someone before you notice that their skin feels nice... But maybe that's just me...

The word attraction certainly doesn't include actually doing it... it means "drawn to"... like with gravitational or magnetic attraction.

I guess it's unusual to you how those terms are used here... like there is also platonic attraction and romantic attraction ...  and very important differences are glossed over by classifying them all as attractions. It's probably safe to say that platonic and romantic attraction have overall a way less mercurial nature than sexual attraction. They are weaker but long-acting.

It's again similar to physics... like the gravitational attraction of the whole Earth can lose against the magnetic attraction of a humble refrigerator magnet. But OTOH gravitational attraction rules the grand scheme of things over long timeframes.

Thinking a lot about sensual or aesthetic attraction is probably typical for asexuals, because both can be confused with sexual attraction. But if you've ever felt sexual attraction, you won't confuse it – the difference is very clear and specific.

I don't think that sensual and aesthetic attraction are generally strong or enduring enough to make allosexual people reflect about them deeply (contrary to their platonic, romantic and sexual attraction).

On 2/21/2020 at 5:48 PM, DeltaV said:

Since (I hope) nobody desires to eat humans here, I wonder what taste attraction is? So is it about ... licking?⁉️ Would still be strange imho.

I was envisioning licking... but YMMV....

On 2/21/2020 at 5:48 PM, DeltaV said:

The word attraction certainly doesn't include actually doing it... it means "drawn to"... like with gravitational or magnetic attraction.

I guess it's unusual to you how those terms are used here... like there is also platonic attraction and romantic attraction ...  and very important differences are glossed over by classifying them all as attractions. It's probably safe to say that platonic and romantic attraction have overall a way less mercurial nature than sexual attraction. They are weaker but long-acting.

Right, but I was thinking of "visual attraction" as you enjoy the appearance of a person... I mean, visual attraction DOES imply actually doing it... how would you know that you find a person visually attractive if you don't see them? similarly, how would you know if you find someone smell-attractive if you don't smell them, or taste-attractive if you don't taste them? 

I would say that if you SEE someone and then want to touch them, then that is sensual attraction, not touch-attraction... But I may be makeing too fine grained distinctions here...