Advice?

Aten

So, I've been dating this girl for a while. She makes me really happy and I eventually want to marry her, but I feel guilty because I don't romantically love her. I tell her I love her because I feel happy when she's around, I like doing couple-y things, and I feel like I could spend forever with her. What should I do? Should I tell her my situation? Am I actually not aromantic?

I think you should tell her. I don't think you should feel guily- it's not your fault you don't have romantic feelings for her, and you are in no way obligated to- but I believe honesty is important in relationships, especially committed ones. If she is under the impression that you feel one way about her, but you actually don't, I don't think it's very fair to keep that from her.

You can still have an equally strong relationship, even a romantic one, but nonetheless I think you should talk to her about how you feel, and see how she feels about it.

You don't have to feel romantic attraction to be in a romantic relationship, but honesty is important in intimate relationships.  Hopefully she'll understand that you don't want the relationship to change, you just want to be clear about your feelings, and she'll appreciate that.

Archived