Vatican approves blessings of same-gender couples

DeltaAro

I guess at this point, everyone has heard of it. After the 2021 decision that strictly banned blessing same-gender couples, this decision was reversed on Monday by the declaration "Fiducia Supplicans" approved by Pope Francis, which states that blessings should be given to same-gender couples who ask for it if certain conditions are met.

I guess the extra-conditions (basically: "it doesn't look like a marriage") were meant to placate the traditionalist. But as far as I can observe it didn't help. There probably will be another campaign to accuse Pope Francis of heresy.

So what do you think of it?

Edited by DeltaAro
  • Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Not to be a bummer, but it's a reaaaally small step. If you are openly gay or lgbtq+ he approves of still blessing you, yes, but doesn't approve of you being lgbtq+ and I doubt he would encourage blessing you specifically in the context of lgbtq+ (Like blessing a gay marriage).

It sure is better than nothing tho, I guess.

On 1/19/2024 at 9:29 PM, Helion said:

Not to be a bummer, but it's a reaaaally small step.

From a Western perspective, it is a very small step. But from a world-perspective, it is big. The turmoil that Fiducia Supplicans caused, e.g. in Africa proves this. Many bishops there reject it (one has to remember that in some of those countries, homosexuality is illegal, so they obviously have a "reasonable excuse").

On 1/19/2024 at 9:29 PM, Helion said:

but doesn't approve of you being lgbtq+

In theory, the traditional Natural Law is still the orthodox doctrine, and its principles remain unchanged since the 13th century: any sex except vanilla hetero is unnatural ⇒ sinful.

The reality is very different, of course, since in many Catholic parts of the world nobody believes that anymore, including the clergy. E.g. in Belgium they even have a liturgy for same-gender couples. So they genuinely* approve you being LGBTQ+ in those countries.

I guess Fiducia Supplicans was an attempt to reconcile those very different standpoints. Otherwise, many dioceses (Belgian, German, etc.) would be in an obvious state of "heresy".

* not in the "love the sinner, hate the sin" manner

Edited by DeltaAro