aros creating characters

mordo

just realized that usually when i’m creating a character i forget to give them romantic attraction, not in like a purposefully making characters aro way but since i don’t ever register it i don’t really think about it in terms of characters. even when i give characters a partner (usually don’t because i forget) i forget that there’s more than just being roommates who feel safe around each other. kinda just putting this out here to see if other aros do this but it came up bc i gave a character a shirt that says “boy kisser” and didn’t realize it would be taken as gay bc i never really thought about him being in any kind of romantic situations because i never think about them at all

I get that a bit too, I was writing this story once and there were sort of four main characters. Two of them were Aroace and two of them weren’t and I was trying to add romance into the story to make it seem more normal and it didn’t really work out.

A little bit similar when I make a character in dnd. I know I’m not going to do the romance well so I just make them all Aroace. One good example is I played character who was supposed to be gay and there was a guy in the story who I was supposed to develop feelings for (spoiler alert I failed miserably) and it sort of turned into me just respecting his ability because I really had no clue how to be all romantic and mooshy (and I will never attempt another romantic dnd character ever again).

Edited by Kira-
  • Like 1

I do that too lol. Last year for my final English assignment I had a main character with the name I want to use and they used they/them (which my teacher was cool with). I had a lot of lgbtq+ characters actually lol.

It was about the MC finding out they can teleport and accidentally going to another planet and getting forcefully involved in an alien war. The king of the alien species had a husband who used he/him and I wrote their romance terribly. When I terribly I mean I didn’t write it at all. Reading the story now I realized the only romantic couple (other than the MCs parents who are not at all important) had no romance? They didn't even actually interact! They just spoke about each other! And not even in a romantic way! I feel so weird lol.

I kinda like the story without strong romance because I love the action. My teacher liked it too lol.

• Like 1