How can I admit that I'm aromantic and be happy or get to know that I'm not and have just an attachment issue?

emily conderson

Am I really aromantic? I can't see myself in any sort of romantic relationship, this is probably the main reason I think I might be aro. But at the same time, I can't just... I can't admit it. It just feels like if I admit it I will be lonely for the rest of my life, even though I know I wouldn't be happy in a relationship. Also, I often have "crushes"(like when I see a very beautiful person or just a very cool person in my opinion) and I sometimes really want to hug people and hold their hands and kiss but not in a romantic way, but at the moment I feel something like this I think "Well, maybe I'm not aromantic after all, maybe I can be happy just like other people". How can I admit that I'm aromantic and be happy or get to know that I'm not and have just an attachment issue(one more point why i can't say I'm aro)...

• Like 1

6 hours ago, emily conderson said:

Am I really aromantic? I can't see myself in any sort of romantic relationship, this is probably the main reason I think I might be aro. But at the same time, I can't just... I can't admit it. It just feels like if I admit it I will be lonely for the rest of my life, even though I know I wouldn't be happy in a relationship. Also, I often have "crushes"(like when I see a very beautiful person or just a very cool person in my opinion) and I sometimes really want to hug people and hold their hands and kiss but not in a romantic way, but at the moment I feel something like this I think "Well, maybe I'm not aromantic after all, maybe I can be happy just like other people". How can I admit that I'm aromantic and be happy or get to know that I'm not and have just an attachment issue(one more point why i can't say I'm aro)...

this is exactly how i felt for years, honestly put off identifying as aromantic and gaslit myself even though i had been in relationships and every time it felt really bad and i felt guilty because i didn’t like them the same way. aesthetic attraction is also so confusing at times and i need to remind myself that wanting to be close to someone or thinking they look pretty doesn’t mean i’d be happy with them romantically. honestly the best thing to make me feel better about it all is watching/reading representation in media or reading other aromantic ppls stories bc then you don’t feel as alone and it helps process everything 

• Like 1