How do I stop my friends from shipping me with someone?

Guest Random Ace

Question

Guest Random Ace

I'm in a cross country group, and my friends decided to start shipping me with some random guy that I don't even know. It really gets on my nerves and they won't stop, they just keep going to him and saying "ShE wAnTs tO KnOw HoW tALl yOu aRe" Even when I've never said anything like that. I've asked politely and they keep doing it

4 answers to this question

If there shipping, you with some random person and continue even through you told them to stop multiple times there probably not your real friends and you should stay in a friend group with people who care about you and your feelings.

So, this has come up before (How is matchmaking for people who want nothing to do with it even a thing? Boggles the mind and yet here we are). I am basically going to give the same advice as in a previous thread:

Have one (1) genuine conversation about it, where you take your friends aside and say something in the line of. "I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you mean well. But the whole shipping thing with [person] is making me really uncomfortable. I hate it. Especially that you go up and lie to him about things I say. That's making everything awkward. I'm not interested in him. Please stop and never do something like this again." Kind of depending on how polite you've been before. If politely means you've gently said 'please don't' then extra clarity might be in order. Just to be sure they know that you are genuinely bothered by this, not just tihi-embarassed.

If they persist after that, that's when you need to be boring about it. Every time they do something, they get one 'not this shit again' and then you disengage from the conversation. Barely even make a facial expression. Become the most boring person in the world to ship. If you suspect that they don't actually mean well, don't care that you are bothered, or think shipping is just too much fun to give up on, they you will probably have to distance yourself from those people.

• Like 1