Fear/internalized transphobia, help? (Slight vent)

Fox

This might be hard to answer, but I'm at a loss right now.

I am probably trans. I don't want to be my birth gender, and if there were a magical button that immediately made me the opposite sex/gender, I would press it in a heartbeat. I really want to be the opposite sex/gender, but I am terrified of transitioning. I'm scared of medical complications during surgery and becoming a target of discrimination. Especially when you read the news nowadays, I just get really scared of living as who I feel I truly am. I know logically that being trans is okay, it's normal, but I hate the idea of me being trans and transitioning for the reasons I listed above. When I see someone similar to me, I see myself, and I can't stand to see that reflection. 

I know there isn't an easy fix to this, but I was wondering if anyone had any self-exploration prompts or advice. How does one find the courage to live as themselves? (If it helps at all, I am in the mental healthcare system. I'm lucky to live in a relatively supportive environment but I still feel alone.)

• Like 1

It sounds like it's not so much transphobia, but risk-aversion. For medical risks, see if you can do research, talk to doctors, and talk to people who have transitioned so they can tell you what the associated risks truly are, how likely is it for those risks to occur, how to minimize risk, and how to cope if issues do occur. For social risks, such as threats or rejection, build a support network. Are there people in your life now who are supportive of you transitioning? Can you get to know other people who have transitioned, so that you can all support each other?

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Picklethewickle said:

It sounds like it's not so much transphobia, but risk-aversion. For medical risks, see if you can do research, talk to doctors, and talk to people who have transitioned so they can tell you what the associated risks truly are, how likely is it for those risks to occur, how to minimize risk, and how to cope if issues do occur. For social risks, such as threats or rejection, build a support network. Are there people in your life now who are supportive of you transitioning? Can you get to know other people who have transitioned, so that you can all support each other?

Oh, yeah, risk-aversion is a better word for it. There are some people who are supportive, but I don't know anyone who has transitioned or is in the process of it. I'll see about finding people that have. Thank you for the advice!

• Like 1