How to tell therapist important stuff?

CatNap

Question

I don't have trust in the confidentiality people say therapist give clients, since my friends pretty much destroyed the trust I did have in my own therapist. I really need to tell my therapist very important things because my mental health is really bad, and requires professional help, and it will probably get worse if I don't tell her anything important. During sessions, I don't tell her the stuff she needs to hear in order to help. And I'm very scared that if I tell her everything she needs to hear, then I'll get sent to a mental hospital.

What should I do?

1 answer to this question

It sounds like you have reasons not to trust *this* therapist, in which case the best thing you can do would be shop around for another therapist you could build trust with. 

If you feel you could trust this therapist, could you expand on what reasons you have not to trust them? We could better help with scripts and such to help you explore if they are worth trusting. 

• Like 1