Anyone else have tics?

Señor0nion

No, not the bugs  

10 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I don’t see tics talked about often, and as a ticcer, I was curious if anyone else on here had them. Do you? How long have you had them? Do you know what caused them? Are you diagnosed? Do you have vocal, motor, etc tics? Thanks, have a lovely day!!

Edited by Arrow
  • Like 1

I do think I have tics that help me feel better in my habits. However, I don't really, why are you talking diagnostic. If your tics get so heavy that you would need to diagnose them, wouldn't they be ocd instead of simple tics ?

Mildly. Not enough to be diagnosed with a serious disorder. Have a few facial tics. I remember them showing up maybe once a month when I was a kid, rarely as an adult. Apparently this is termed "provisional tic disorder".

3 hours ago, Atypique said:

I do think I have tics that help me feel better in my habits. However, I don't really, why are you talking diagnostic. If your tics get so heavy that you would need to diagnose them, wouldn't they be ocd instead of simple tics ?

Tics are involuntary movements that you can't really control. OCD is about compulsions that you feel like you have to do.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Atypique said:

Tic diagnoses include tourettes, persistent tic disorder, provisional tic disorder, etc. Tic disorders and ocd can be comorbid but tics aren't included under the symptoms of ocd. 

~

I have some obvious motor tics to the point where I've had someone with tourettes ask me if I'd been diagnosed because we shared some tics, but I've never been diagnosed nor tried to get diagnosed. The tics definitely have impacted my life (painful, was mocked/teased for them in HS), but it's never been to the point where my parent nor I sought out answers. And following some folk with tic disorders online, I can tell mine are all really mild in comparison. 

Edited by hemogoblin
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Atypique said:

If your tics get so heavy that you would need to diagnose them, wouldn't they be ocd instead of simple tics ?

I would NOT say you can control OCD while you can't control tics. Or that OCD is voluntary. 😀

The difference is that OCD has obsessions which compel goal-driven behavior, called compulsions. Tics just happen without any intention or goal.

And tic disorder and OCD can both be mild or severe.

I don't have any tics. I imagine simple tics to be like those hypnagogic jerks, but while being awake. But more complex tics I can't image how they feel like, and they indeed seem a bit like OCD from the outside.