Checking "Do you identify as LGBTQIA+?" on scholarship application

Rather be Reading

I'm applying for a scholarship and it offers preference to "students who self-identify as a member of the LGBTQIA+ community".

I feel so weird about checking this little box. It's not a matter if aro counts or not, since it 100% does and the scholarship even put the "A" in, but if I really count. 

I haven't been identifying as (grey) aroace very long, I'm not really out to anyone, and I'm not super confident in my label. Normally I'd tell myself that it doesn't matter, that identifying this way makes me feel comfortable and it's okay if it changes later, but in this situation there's money involved and that makes me feel really gross about it. 

I don't want to feel like I'm monetizing an identity that might not even be mine, if that makes sense? But at the same time the whole point of me applying is to try and get money to pay for my education.

Should I check the box?

• Like 2

I’d go for it! Even if you’re not 100% sure, there’s probably a reason why you feel this sure and I think most of us are never fully 100% confident in our labels, and that’s ok! I definitely think you qualify, especially if you agree. 

plus, if it helps at all, the “Q” in LGBTQIA+ is seen by some people to mean both “queer” and “questioning”

• Like 1