someone likes me (this is very bad)

CrisisApple

There's this person I've always really admired and wanted to be friends with, and for the duration of high school they've been really nice to me, always complimenting me, saying nice things about me to other people, letting me join them in class activities when I had no one else, and recently we've been starting to become friends through one of our mutual friends, and I was so happy, but today I found out through another friend that they have a crush on me, and I'm, well, crushed.

We have so much in common and I think they're awesome! I feel like we could be such good friends and I was so glad that it seemed like we were becoming great platonic buddies, but they like me romantically, and I know that I don't and won't like them back. I don't want to have to reject them, I don't want to make them feel bad or make things awkward, I just want us to be friends. 

The idea of someone liking me romantically honestly makes me quite uncomfortable, I feel like they've only been so nice to me because they want me to like them back and none of it was genuine, and given my past experiences with rejecting people, I really don't want to screw this up. I wish this weren't happening. I was really excited that they wanted to be friends, but that's not what they want at all :(

Edited by CrisisApple
  • Like 1

I can't predict how this will turn out, of course, but if you would be interested in a positive and validating story - at least two of my best friends in high school harbored crushes for me (actually, it's really common for friends to crush on each other over the course of the friendship). One for a couple months and the other for like 2 years. In my case, neither of them ever told me or acted on their feelings, and our connection has survived even a decade past graduating high school. It's totally possible for friendships to survive this stuff. Perhaps they did have romantic ulterior motives - but that doesn't mean they can't see what a great person you are to have as a friend.

I hope it works out however you're most comfortable. I'm really sorry this is happening and that it's stressful and frustrating and sad.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, hemogoblin said:

I can't predict how this will turn out, of course, but if you would be interested in a positive and validating story - at least two of my best friends in high school harbored crushes for me (actually, it's really common for friends to crush on each other over the course of the friendship). One for a couple months and the other for like 2 years. In my case, neither of them ever told me or acted on their feelings, and our connection has survived even a decade past graduating high school. It's totally possible for friendships to survive this stuff. Perhaps they did have romantic ulterior motives - but that doesn't mean they can't see what a great person you are to have as a friend.

I hope it works out however you're most comfortable. I'm really sorry this is happening and that it's stressful and frustrating and sad.

thank you, that really helps to hear!

• Like 1