my friend has a possible crush on an aro (me) -- advice pls?

raye

so I've been friends with this guy for a little while but we've got closer recently, and today he's called me attractive twice, and I know that he could just be being friendly, but I've looked up the signs of flirting and romance and stuff like that and they all seem like stuff that friends do, so I'm a bit confused to be honest. Neither of us have really had lots of friends or relationships (or healthy ones in his case) so I just really don't know. He also knows I'm bi and I tried to explain being aro to him too but idk he gets it or believes me, especially as I don't even know if I am. Yeah, I'm just confused and a bit worried I guess cos I don't want to hurt him and I'm probably just overthinking. 

update: the situations now getting a little worse and I'm really confused and perhaps a little scared? he's called me cute and said stuff about loving hanging out with me, but also, apparently some people who know both of us have said they thought we've been flirting for ages and teasing him about me?? and then he used the word "date" to describe us hypothetically meeting sometime. and now I really don't know if I'm just overthinking/panicking or if this is real. I've told him I'm (probably) aromantic but he's allocishet so I don't think he really understands and he told me I might change my mind, and he thought like that before he got with someone for the first time. I'm just a little scared because I'd hate to hurt him.

Any help/advice would be seriously appreciated; thank you. 

Edited by raye
  • Like 1

I would probably wait until he makes a move and then let him down as gently as you can. It's hard! I had a friend ask me out last year and it was super awkward. I turned him down saying I'm not really attracted to anyone, and it kept replaying in my head for freakin days. Unfortunately I don't think there's an easy way around the awkward. You just gotta wait it out.

• Like 1

I've had a similar situation before too where I agreed to date a friend only to break up with him literally the next day because I realised I wasn't actually happy with the idea of going out with someone and was instead very uncomfortable and slightly scared. 

• Like 1