City of aros

Arsenic

Okay, so, a few hours ago I was scrolling through instagram and saw a post with the title 'aro wallpapers'. One of those looked like a city, and I though hei, imagine a city with only arospec people. So, here I am now. Create your own dream city! Which is the aesthetic? Colors (I will be disappointed if it doesn't have tons of green)? Norms and rules? Laws? Which is it's anthem? Anything you want, be creative!

To start with something, amatonormativity doesn't exist, of course! People can be friends, qp partners and whatever they want without feeling that others expect them to form romantic relationships.

• Like 5

Not so much a city here, b u t- 

The grass is greener on the other side, quite literally. Sprouts teem through cracks in the sidewalk, soft patches of moss cover the ground, and ivy climbs crooked shops. There’s a lopsided shop home to amulets with emeralds, fluorite, and jadeite pressed into silver chains. A dim bar adjacent, brimming with glasses of Chartreuse. A dusty thrift store, piled high with leathers, linens, and an unusual amount of cheap clover necklaces. The air is heavy with petrichor, except for when the bakery next door is open. It’s twinkling fairy lights line the shop windows, sporting pandan pandesal and lime cheesecakes. As day melts into night, the frogs creep out one by one, barely illuminated under ghastly green street lamps. 

The children play hide-and-seek among yellow rose bushes, catching caterpillars and toads. They twist vines into crowns, and parade around town with strings of friends. At morning, they scamper to the square, tripping and twirling, all in haste to get to the flagpole first. 

• Like 3

I think we should name it a-spec city with factions for different identities although they're not bound to the faction it's just like a little sub area of the city 

ex: demi drive by 

asexuals and their community have 1/2 the city 

there must be garlic bread, cake and hoodie stores. clothing stores must sell chest binders for trans youth, hospitals must offer top and bottom surgery and gender neutral bathrooms are required in all public and private buildings. 

schools must have AC and heating they are also required to teach queer history. 

book stores must have some non romo books. 

each citizen is issued the pride flags they identify with 

ex: if they are aro bi and trans they get all of those flags  

lastly there will be lots of public art and painted walls. nice public green spaces and a building for the aro scouts.

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, Jackson_Glass said:

clothing stores must sell chest binders for trans youth,

I wanna also add breast forms and packers to this, but omgs this city sounds amazing and so cool

Minimum wage is actually something that people can comfortably live off of, disabled people (of any kind) are able to comfortably take care of themselves without having to worry about money or accessibility, and people are able to do jobs they really want to. Also I think childcare should be very accessible!!!

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Gabriel14 said:

I wanna also add breast forms and packers to this, but omgs this city sounds amazing and so cool

Minimum wage is actually something that people can comfortably live off of, disabled people (of any kind) are able to comfortably take care of themselves without having to worry about money or accessibility, and people are able to do jobs they really want to. Also I think childcare should be very accessible!!!

good plan I don't know why I didn't think about that. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jackson_Glass said:

A building for the aro scouts.

The aro scouts are the police there

There are a lot of bookstores and cat cafes. It is very usual that friends come to live together. Oh! Maybe some kind of qp cafe? I mean, a place where you can find a qpp and also chill with your friends. 

Talking about laws and norms, I suggest the following ones:

- Animal abuse is illegal, and we all must take care of all the animals in the city and create safe spaces for them.

- Of course, any kind of discrimination is illegal. Everyone is accepted in our city.

- Is obligatory to keep clean the streets. Due to this, no one can throw trash or pollute.

- Plants are important! We must contribute to their good health and safety.

- No violence.

Aaaaannnndddd we need an anthem! Which song gives you aro vibes?

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

The city is green. As in ecofriendly and everyone likes to take care of their plants. It's a law that people must be allowed to have pets, landlords cannot refuse. People are allowed to get married, but it's only for fun, because you don't get any legal benefits from it. Instead, if you want those legal benefits associated with getting married, you can prove you've known someone for a certain amount of time and that you care about each other, and you're allowed to do that for friends. This way, if your best friend of 10 years who you do everything with goes to the hospital, you will be allowed to visit them, you will be allowed to take time off work to do so if you need it, and no one will give you crap for it because people value friendships here at least as much, if not moreso, as romantic relationships. In elementary school, kids are not telling each other, "everyone has a crush" when someone says "I don't have a crush." In middle school sex ed, no one is acting like you will definitely be into sex and relationships, sex ed(which is definitely offered without controversy) is just information, and a safe place to ask questions. No one judges you for being single here, and platonic coparenting is completely normalized. People generally assume you are friends with your ex here, unless you say otherwise, because it's not seen as the standard to hate your ex just because you were romantic with them at one point (seriously wtf is with that??).

On 2/23/2022 at 11:40 AM, Arsenic said:

It is very usual that friends come to live together.

This, however this standard will not raise the cost of living. There are rules in place to keep the rent prices manageable. In irl society the normal of couples living together and both of them working has led to higher expected household incomes and higher rent. That won't happen here, because it's just as normal for someone to live alone as it is for them to have friends or partners living with them.

Oh, and someone mentioned clothes stores. Inclusive sizes. And not the "inclusive sizes" you see at companies advertized on tik tok where bras only go to a size G, stores will have everywhere from xs - 5xl+ clothing and if someone is bigger than that employees will order their size, no fatphobia here, and no making people have to resort to wearing a bra that's too small for them just because the only bras sold in their size are $70+ and theyre a poor college student who can't afford it.

And since someone brought up binders, let's talk about healthcare. Healthcare is trans-friendly and doctors don't act weird about it (Which sadly is common irl). And trans people have access to counseling and transitioning services, for free.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, TheCloudyEnd said:

The city is green. As in ecofriendly and everyone likes to take care of their plants. It's a law that people must be allowed to have pets, landlords cannot refuse. People are allowed to get married, but it's only for fun, because you don't get any legal benefits from it. Instead, if you want those legal benefits associated with getting married, you can prove you've known someone for a certain amount of time and that you care about each other, and you're allowed to do that for friends. This way, if your best friend of 10 years who you do everything with goes to the hospital, you will be allowed to visit them, you will be allowed to take time off work to do so if you need it, and no one will give you crap for it because people value friendships here at least as much, if not moreso, as romantic relationships. In elementary school, kids are not telling each other, "everyone has a crush" when someone says "I don't have a crush." In middle school sex ed, no one is acting like you will definitely be into sex and relationships, sex ed(which is definitely offered without controversy) is just information, and a safe place to ask questions. No one judges you for being single here, and platonic coparenting is completely normalized. People generally assume you are friends with your ex here, unless you say otherwise, because it's not seen as the standard to hate your ex just because you were romantic with them at one point (seriously wtf is with that??).

This, however this standard will not raise the cost of living. There are rules in place to keep the rent prices manageable. In irl society the normal of couples living together and both of them working has led to higher expected household incomes and higher rent. That won't happen here, because it's just as normal for someone to live alone as it is for them to have friends or partners living with them.

Oh, and someone mentioned clothes stores. Inclusive sizes. And not the "inclusive sizes" you see at companies advertized on tik tok where bras only go to a size G, stores will have everywhere from xs - 5xl+ clothing and if someone is bigger than that employees will order their size, no fatphobia here, and no making people have to resort to wearing a bra that's too small for them just because the only bras sold in their size are $70+ and theyre a poor college student who can't afford it.

And since someone brought up binders, let's talk about healthcare. Healthcare is trans-friendly and doctors don't act weird about it (Which sadly is common irl). And trans people have access to counseling and transitioning services, for free.

I LOVE THIS ALL! Seriously, we all should create our own city. We could, couldn't we? I mean, we're a lot, and each one of us could specialize in one thing to make this work. I bet there are doctors here, and lawyers, and architects, an teachers (one here)... 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/4/2022 at 12:59 AM, Arsenic said:

I LOVE THIS ALL! Seriously, we all should create our own city. We could, couldn't we? I mean, we're a lot, and each one of us could specialize in one thing to make this work. I bet there are doctors here, and lawyers, and architects, an teachers (one here)... 

I’m an artist and musician I also bake I’m not sure how that helps but I can try :D

• Like 1

• 1 month later...