How to deal with romance repulsion?

Guest asdfghjklsdfghjkldfghjk

Question

Guest asdfghjklsdfghjkldfghjk

Hello! I'm a romance indifferent aro, but romance repulsed when it's romance that tries to involve me. But it's increased over time to where I feel like completely cutting ties with people crushing on me. I've done this a couple times. Other times, we just drift away. Though I don't get asked out a lot, the times it has happened it's been people I've begun to form friendships with. It's easier to cope with when it's someone I'm not super attached to yet, though it's sad that I miss out on getting to know new people. Now, my close friend confessed they have a crush on me. We've been communicating and are respecting each other's boundaries. They've even been accepting of me being aromantic. I don't want to push them away, and I won't. But it's hard with my strong feelings of romance repulsion. Anyone have advice/similar experiences?

2 answers to this question

I actually have had a very similar experience, about two months ago, I had just found out I was on the aro-spec, (I was still figuring out where I fit on the aro-spec though) and a friend of mine asked me out. I explained to them that I'm aromantic, that I didn't want to be their partner romantically and that I was romance repulsed. They accepted that and then they just never spoke to me again (odd right-?) 

Although I'm sorry I don't know how to deal with romance repulsion as I'm still relatively new to aromanticism. Sorry!

I'm not sure how much you have told them about your aromanticism, but as they are accepting of it it may be worth letting them know about the romance repulsion as well if you haven't already. (that is, if you feel safe and comfortable to do that, don't just go sharing your secrets because some daft bloke on the internet told you to).

If you know more specifically what actions make you feel most romance repulsed then it might help to let them know what those are so they are less likely to make you feel very uncomfortable.

Other than that I am not really sure as romance repulsion isn't a big thing for me.