Favourite Quotes

roboticanary

Doesn't matter where they are from, what some quotes you really like.

Here's a few I enjoy:

Don't you think I'd love to be deceitful, unpleasant, and offensive?  Those are the human qualities I admire the most! - Kryten (Red Dwarf)

(as context, this whole scene is parodying the idea of teaching a robot humanity by teaching them to love. Instead they break Kryten's programming by teaching him to lie which I think is one of my favourite TV moments)

You can't make people happy by law. If you said to a bunch of average people two hundred years ago "Would you be happy in a world where medical care is widely available, houses are clean, the world's music and sights and foods can be brought into your home at small cost, traveling even 100 miles is easy, childbirth is generally not fatal to mother or child, you don't have to die of dental abcesses and you don't have to do what the squire tells you" they'd think you were talking about the New Jerusalem and say 'yes'. - Terry Pratchett

I love deadlines. I love the whooshing noise they make as they go by. - Douglas Adams

“The price of inaction is far greater than the cost of making a mistake.”
– Meister Eckhart

“The fear of infinity is a form of myopia that destroys the possibility of seeing the actual infinite, even though it in its highest form has created and sustains us, and in its secondary transfinite forms occurs all around us and even inhabits our minds.”
– Georg Cantor

“Mind: ‘Sweet exists by convention, bitter by convention, heat by convention, cold by convention, color by convention; but atoms and the void exist in truth.’
Senses: ‘Wretched mind, after receiving your knowledge from us, do you try to overthrow us? Your victory is your own fall.’ ”
– Democritus

“Imaginary evil is romantic and varied; real evil is gloomy, monotonous, barren, boring. Imaginary good is boring; real good is always new, marvelous, intoxicating.”
– Simone Weil