Olympic horses

DeltaAro

I’m bored by the Tokyo Olympics 2020, but I found the horse strike quite funny…

'Her face says it all' - 'Devastation' for pentathlon leader as horse refuses to jump

'That'll be elimination!' - Nightmare fall in pentathlon before horse runs away

Edit: removed the rest to make this thread a bit more light-hearted

Edited by DeltaV

Not trying to be the devil's advocate here (I don't support 3-day eventing), but the article says Jet Set had an "irreparable ligament rupture in the lower right limb". Leg injuries in horse are notoriously hard to treat, for multiple reasons. A horse weighs 1,000 pounds or more, doesn't understand that it needs to stand still to heal, and has to stand and move around to support its circulatory system. This is why broken legs and other severe leg injuries are still "fatal" most of the time, even now with shock wave therapy, IRAP, and other cutting-edge treatments.

Again, not trying to argue, just wanted to add some context.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Sam Spade said:

A horse weighs 1,000 pounds or more, doesn't understand that it needs to stand still to heal, and has to stand and move around to support its circulatory system. This is why broken legs and other severe leg injuries are still "fatal" most of the time, even now with shock wave therapy, IRAP, and other cutting-edge treatments.

Then I’d say the sport is too dangerous for the horses!

• Like 1