Asking my crush to join a club with me

Guest breadcrumb

Question

Guest breadcrumb

Hi guys, I'd like some advice on how to go about doing this.

For some background info, I have a crush on this guy in my university programme who I've also become friends with. We've gotten a lot closer recently -- he replies to my instagram stories quite frequently (sometimes it's just him saying "HAHAHAHAHA"), he sends me memes randomly, and we've studied together and gone for lunch just the two of us, too. Whenever we spend time together in person, we're constantly joking around and it's not awkward at all. He also slept on campus so he could attend an early morning lecture with me when I asked him to. Recently he waited for my bus with me at the bus stop --  it was out of his way and although it was raining and he would get wet when he would have to leave, he still waited 10 minutes with me.

Because of this, my best friend is very convinced that he likes me back, but I'm not 100% sure yet -- maybe he just really likes me as a friend??? Two other friends have told me to ask him out, but I'm worried I'm just misinterpreting his actions.

My main dilemma right now is this: should I ask him to join the university's ballroom dance club with me? I was planning on attending it alone, but it would be nice to have a friend to go with me, and I think going with him would be a perfect opportunity for us to get closer.

as far as i'm aware he's single btw

2 answers to this question

I have no idea if he likes you back romantically or not - those actions could be anything depending on his idea of what close friendships and romances look like - but he does clearly like spending time with you, so I don't think an offer to do the club together would be bad by any means. The only thing I'd recommend considering is if he agrees but turns out to not have romantic feelings, would you still be able to have a good time with him during those activities? If so then it's definitely a good idea, if not I might recommend caution just to avoid having committed activities to sort out if you find yourself needing space later on. (Which might not be an issue if he does return your feelings, but since that's a question mark, I figure it's good to give some thought?) Regardless, good luck!