Coming out advice

squids_are_amazing

Question

I need help coming out to my sister, is very supportive of  the LGBT+ Community, I know she isn’t very familiar of aromaticism. She knows I’m not a fan of romance, but she consumes a lot of romantic media. I’m afraid she might tell me I’m too young to know, or something similar, plus I don’t know how to come out in general.

anyone got any advice?

• Like 1

2 answers to this question

well, people having their assumptions of what it means to be aro is a given. to most, its hard to grasp the idea of not experiencing romantic attraction, so they naturally jump to "well, maybe you just haven't found the right person" or "you just don't have enough life experience to know for sure".  to an aro person, these comments can come off as quite rude but i would just keep in mind that your sister probably isnt saying these things to hurt you, she just may be confused and also concerned for you.  so my advice would be to provide lots of info and try to educate her on what she might not understand. to do this, maybe find a good article that explains what being aro really means or even link her to this forum!  for the actual coming out you can try to write out what you would like to say and practice as if you are talking to her.  i find this helps build confidence. despite what she may think, you have to be confident in your identity and tell her how it is. with time and understanding, she will come around eventually!  and finally, good luck! i hope all goes well for you :D also i like your profile pic! 

• Like 2

One of the benefits of being aro is that people don’t already have opinions about your orientation, like they might if you were gay, so if you can find a way to explain it that makes your sister understand that you’re just not romantically attracted to anyone, and you never will be, and that its not something you’re missing out on since dating seems like a lot of work, and mostly ends in heartbreak anyway, then she’ll probably be accepting, especially since she is already accepting of the LGBTQ+ community.

• Like 1