Hi y'all!

vvv

Hey everyone! You can call me V, vvv, vee, whatever is easiest. I'm genderfluid and my pronouns are she/they. I have identified as bisexual for more than half of my life (I'm 27 going on 28 in a few months), but typically just call myself queer to encompass my attraction to many genders. 

I didn't know about aromanticism or the aro community until about six months ago, but when I learned about it I realized that it's something I've been dabbling in for a few years now. The more I think about previous romantic relationships vs. previous casual sexual relationships, I realize that I have always been very uncomfortable in romantic relationships and act like someone I don't recognize. I've never had a romantic relationship beyond 9 months. I don't even know how to flirt and usually have just gotten by in romantic relationships by being seen as conventionally attractive and feminine with masculine-perceived interests. 

I'm a very sex-positive person and have had plenty of "partnerships" where I had a platonic-sexual-aromantic relationship with people, but dismissed those relationships as being friends with benefits or just practice for the "real thing" whenever I found that "perfect someone." Never have, never will. I learned about relationship anarchy (RA) two years ago, but since learning about aromanticism, I've been taking more time to consider RA as a practice that can validate my identity, existing relationships, and future relationships without all of the anguish that I've been subjected myself to thus far.

I identify as greyromantic, I can acknowledge that I have had and probably will have romantic attraction to people, but most of the time it's just platonic or sexual. I've only come out as aro to two friends so far, one told me they feel the same, the other told me I probably just need some time to find someone while I'm in the right mindset!! Well, 1 out of 2 positive responses isn't bad.

Also, this is my first time being part of a very intentional online queer community. I've spent a lot of time on Tumblr (not much recently), but never to an extent where I'd call it my community. I am lucky to have a majority of queer friends in general, but (as an RA adherent), I can't help but believe that the more the merrier, and I don't want to turn to non-aro friends or pressure my one aro friend for the commiseration and discussion! I've been on forums in the past for niche interests, and am really looking forward to talking with y'all in an intentional way about aro and all of the stuff adjacent and beyond it.

Thanks for having me!!!

That was a LOT!!

• Like 2

Hey V, I'm glad you're getting involved in the community! It's always fascinating to have these kinds of intentional discussions about RA, aromantic/asexual-spec identities, and how they intersect. I hope that you find some good opportunities to do that here (either via the forums or the PM feature). :) 

Edited by Rainy Robin
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, DivineCyst said:

Hello V! Welcome to the community and I love your profile picture.

Thank you (❁´◡`❁) Slowpoke is my absolute favorite Pokemon since I was a wee one. I find him way too relatable hahahah

17 minutes ago, Rainy Robin said:

Hey V, I'm glad you're getting involved in the community! It's always fascinating to have these kinds of intentional discussions about RA, aromantic/asexual-spec identities, and how they intersect. I hope that you find some good opportunities to do that here (either via the forums or the PM feature). :) 

Thank you!! ╰(*°▽°*)╯

• Like 2