Terminology

Guest Anemoneeee

Question

Guest Anemoneeee

Is there a word for wanting or being open to having some sort of soft romo/qpr/non traditional relationship regardless of gender? biromantic or panromantic don't seem right as these relationship types aren't strictly romantic or necessarily romantic at all, and biplatonic or panplatonic doesn't seem right either, as these relationships aren't strictly/necessarily platonic either. Having this represented as a platonic orientation could also imply a need to have (a) squish(es) on the people/person you get involved in such relationships with, and I do not find it necessary to have a squish on someone in order to be open to or want a committed relationship with them. 

I am not aware of an already existing label for this, but if you are aware of one that might be close, that'd be cool.

2 answers to this question

If the problem with biromantic & biplatonic both is more that they imply strictly romantic or platonic relationships respectively when you're looking more for something pertaining to qpr, you could instead do biqueerplatonic or panqueerplatonic.  You could also do bialterous/panalterous, adding the relative pre-fix to any attraction/relationship type.  Most of our labels are defined in terms of experiencing attraction because it is often simpler and indicates it to be more an innate quality of self rather than an active choice, though some people do identify with these labels for reasons other than attraction, based on what relationships they do or do not want, so you can still use any of these terms even if you don't necessarily link them to attraction/a squish.  Queerplatonic is a good label because it is intended to be broad for relationships which don't fit into other clearly defined categories, and also the term is more closely linked to the type of relationship rather than necessarily an independent form of attraction.  You can also use the prefixes on their own without a suffix, alongside other separate identity terms, though that might not be as concise/clear as you would want.  If you want to explore more terminology in general, I recommend AUREA's glossary, found here.

Guest Anemoneeee

Thank you! Your response was helpful. 

I think panqueerplatonic would be closest, though I might not use it and just identify as an aro open to qprs (qpr-positive, if you will? I've seen the term used here and there, though it's not in the AUREA glossary under Q.)