Hello, I'm doing an introduction thingy

Hi everybody, I'm new around here. My irl name is Samantha (well one of the ones I'm considering anyway) and I use they/them pronouns (I'm agender). I'm aromantic and pansexual (also polyamorous). I'm a rising senior in high school and I want to study something either relating to transportation/smart cities, astrophysics, or particle physics. In my spare time I like to play puzzle/strategy video games (though I have made exceptions for Celeste and MInecraft) and strategy or word or social deduction non-video games. I'm particularly fond of Avalon, Werewolf, and Contact, as well as Terraforming Mars (but to a lesser extent because I don't have the attention span for it. Realizing I was aromantic was quite a journey. For a while I thought squishes were crushes and so I assumed I was alloromantic (also because amatonormativity). I also thought romantic attraction was just platonic attraction + sexual attraction. A couple years ago I started becoming more involved in queer spaces online and met my ex-partner,  who's aroace. They introduced me to the concept of aromanticism and then for a while I thought I was demiromantic (I only wanted a relationship with people after I'd gotten to know them, but I didn't realize yet that the relationship I wanted wasn't romantic). I talked with them a lot, came to realize that I wasn't aromantic. Eventually I ended up asking them out, and we were happily partners for a couple months. Now we're happily friends, and I wouldn't trade it for anything in the world. However, there are a few things I don't like about being aro. I'm terrified of being left behind when all my friends partner up and I know people who want a relationship like the one I do are rare. I've also internalized some things from parents about how sex without romantic love is bad (I logically know it's fine, and have no problem with other people doing it, but being aroallo sometimes makes me feel like a manipulative dirtbag. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I'm also new here!

From your introduction I think we got quite a few things in common (I'm non-binary, aromantic and possibly pan/grey-sexual and I know the self-doubts that can come with being aro but not ace) so I'm looking forward to seeing you around here.

Have a nice weekend! :D

On 7/4/2020 at 7:16 PM, ObliviousPineapple said:

transportation/smart cities, astrophysics, or particle physics.

Wow. So you’re wicked smart. Good for you! 

On 7/4/2020 at 7:16 PM, ObliviousPineapple said:

I'm terrified of being left behind when all my friends partner up and I know people who want a relationship like the one I do are rare.

I totally get this. I want a life partner, but How?! The queer platonic and relationship chats are really helpful in this area (to me). 

You are NOT a manipulative dirtbag. As long as everything is safe and consensual, then your partner knew what they were getting into and has to respect your boundaries. Obviously there are douchebags in the world who will try to invalidate you, but you can’t let them. If nothing else, we are all here to support you.