Self-harm scars in high school?

Cake-Loving Dragon

Hello all! I'd really appreciate anyone to read this and tell me your thoughts, especially if you've had or know someone who's had a similar experience.

I'm 14 years old, freshman in high school. Last year, I was having problems with self-harm. They are resolved now and I am stable. Basically, my issue now is with the scars. My family and a couple of close friends know, as of now. I've been considering it, and I think I want to stop covering my scars at school.

I'm asking for input about this. Do you think it's a good/bad idea? How might people react? Should I start gradually, say one class at a time? Has anyone else here been through a similar process?

Thank you for reading!

6 hours ago, Cake-Loving Dragon said:

Do you think it's a good/bad idea? How might people react?

Well… do YOU think it's a good idea? How is your entourage? I know a thing or two about bullies, and especially among young teenagers (no offense) . I don't want to scare you but if you don't feel safe with your class that change everything.

Personally, i have some self harm scars but i don't really care. Two peoples have said something about it : my mom (suportive) and a school friend who also have scars. I don't really hide it, most of the time i don't even think about it.

That being said : i don't have many scars. Not sure if peoples are too polite to say anything or if they just don't notice. They… also are not where most peoples tend to think they would be  so it help i guess? 

Well, that's how it is for me anyway. Not going to elaborate too much, but my scars are not really noticable. So it may be very different for you and me.

So yeah, how might peoples react… some peoples are trash and some are alright, so it's hard to answer that.

I am really sorry, i am not sure how to help ><

@Cristal Gris, thanks for the response! I've never witnessed any bullying at my school; the worst I've seen is gossip and rumors. So I'm not too worried about that. But mine are fairly noticable. That's to say, they cover most of my forearm. I suppose I should ask a teacher at my school about it. I know I want to do this, but I don't want to make people uncomfortable or anything like that. I especially wouldn't want someone to be triggered by seeing them.

you shouldn't have to cover them; it's your body and it's not against any rules so it's so your choice.  i don't care whether my cuts are visible when i have them.  i'm not in high school but when i was, i knew a guy who had scars and i never saw anyone comment or anything.  totally up to you. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Cake-Loving Dragon said:

I especially wouldn't want someone to be triggered by seeing them.

I see. I understand your point.

Still, I would say that this is your body and so it's your choice. I mean, we are more than a topic on internet. We don't have to hide, even if we are not all rainbow and flowers.

40 minutes ago, Cake-Loving Dragon said:

I suppose I should ask a teacher at my school about it

It could be a good idea, if you feel more comfortable with it.

In the end, think about yourself (easier said than done i know). This is your choice.

It's entirely your choice, but I've found that people don't usually seem to notice my scars, or at least don't say much about them. I kept them covered up for close to three years, but no one really noticed them after I stopped.

Thank you everybody! My plan is to stop covering them next week (I'm out until Wednesday). But I almost forgot one important detail, which is my best friend. She was very affected by it when she found out, so I'm not sure if she'll be okay with seeing my scars all the time. I'll talk to her this weekend.

I'll keep y'all posted on what happens if I do go through with it. Thanks for all the support! ?

If anyone is curious, I've decided to keep covering my scars. I'd be totally comfortable with it, but my best friend (who is in therapy because of me) isn't ready to see them. I'm around her at school all the time, so it just wouldn't work out. But thank you all so much for commenting and helping me out! ❤️