Queerplatonic links? (making a list)

Coyote

[ Edit: here's the final product -- A Genealogy of Queerplatonic ]

Hi folks. Been uhhh nearly... three years since I last posted here, so apologies in advance for any cluelessness or social missteps. :icecream: But I have a question, and I figure this place is a good place to start asking around:

Do y'all have any kinds of recs for what to include in a linkspam / link compilation on "queerplatonic" and/or the romance-friendship dichotomy?

By a linkspam, I am thinking of something like this one (on aromanticism) or this one (on asexuality and relationships), just to give you an idea... (and no, I don't know of one on "aromanticism and relationships" per se... which is all the more reason to make one).

Some examples of things I might include on a linkspam on this theme might include the earliest queerplatonic discussion on dreamwidth but also some of the other places that people have defined or discussed it as a concept, such as here [cw: introduced in the context of "asexual terminology"], or more generally about binaries of relationships and those kinds of categorization dilemmas.

Note, I did glance over the relationships subforum, and it looks like there are a ton of threads on QPRs over there -- so I'd say maybe it wouldn't quite make sense to include a link to every one of those, but maybe y'all could suggest the "greatest hits" in terms of solid, thorough advice, longer theorizing, interesting ideas, etc.? 'Cause while I don't think I need to restrict this linkspam to just blogposts and static pages, it might sort of defeat the point if I just create a list of links to 20% of the Arocalypse forums. But then again, maybe not! What are y'all's thoughts?

Well, I don't see there being a problem in using lots of Arocalypse links. There are many different people that put imput into those (though obviously leave off the ones of people asking how to ask for a QPR from their BFF or something) 

As for outside of Arocalypse there is this one https://aromanticism.dreamwidth.org/3790.html#cutid1 which has some thoughtful discussion and it is very likely to get some more attention over the next month or so as the blog hosts this month's aro carnival. 

I do remember there being a really good one somewhere on the forums asking people for a good definition of a QPR (but I couldn't find it), there is also another topic that questions a supposed 'wiki definition' (which is basically me arguing that the wording is bad) but I don't think that is a good one to include in your linkspam

43 minutes ago, Apathetic Echidna said:

I do remember there being a really good one somewhere on the forums asking people for a good definition of a QPR (but I couldn't find it), there is also another topic that questions a supposed 'wiki definition' (which is basically me arguing that the wording is bad) but I don't think that is a good one to include in your linkspam

Thanks for the response and the recs. :icecream::icecream::icecream:

And no, I think that could be pretty fitting actually! Arguments, disagreements, and variance are an expected part of it -- so on that note, I guess I should clarify: this isn't intended as a "101 resource"/introductory explanation sort of a thing (so, not aimed at people who've never heard of it and aren't part of aro or even ace communities), but more like, I'm interested in tracking the development of and range of ideas people have about it, within those two communities.

Was the thread you were thinking of this one?

8 minutes ago, Coyote said:

Was the thread you were thinking of this one?

yes, that is the one. we pretty quickly end up talking about 'what is a friendship' and therefore 'what is beyond friendship'. 

I don't know though....I think I talk a lot in that one. You should minimise my content in the linkspam because you are gonna catch me commenting pretty much everywhere (you're worried about 20% Arocalypse, be more worried about 30% being Apathetic Echidna!)

5 minutes ago, Apathetic Echidna said:

yes, that is the one. we pretty quickly end up talking about 'what is a friendship' and therefore 'what is beyond friendship'. 

I don't know though....I think I talk a lot in that one. You should minimise my content in the linkspam because you are gonna catch me commenting pretty much everywhere (you're worried about 20% Arocalypse, be more worried about 30% being Apathetic Echidna!)

Talking a lot is better than talking too little, haha. That's actually where my hesitation comes from -- I'm realizing I was just predisposed to associate Queenie's linkspams with blogposts and iterations of ~1000 words by one person at a time, so I'm more hesitant about stuff that's got "too little" talking per person. But your responses here have made me realize that that's totally arbitrary an expectation to have, and that it doesn't have to follow the same structure (why would it?).

On 3/8/2019 at 1:26 PM, Coyote said:

~1000 words by one person at a time

Sometimes I think those sorts of articles can present themselves too well as statements of fact rather than the opinions they usually are. I would encourage you to put discussions on just so people who do go through the links can feel like they too can add to the discussion in the link if they feel they have something to say. 

I am super glad you are doing this though! I am really interested to see the non-Arocalypse links you end up using :)

11 hours ago, Apathetic Echidna said:

I am super glad you are doing this though! I am really interested to see the non-Arocalypse links you end up using

Check it out! Fair warning, it ended up as several thousand words with all the quotes and summarizing I made a part of it.

@Coyote I really liked the way you embedded the links within the larger text you constructed. It made it less of a linkspam and more of a well referenced literature review. I hadn't heard of many of those blogs before, especially the earlier ones, so I had been unaware of some of the arguments going on (though I did recognise others). Very nicely done!

47 minutes ago, Apathetic Echidna said:

@Coyote I really liked the way you embedded the links within the larger text you constructed. It made it less of a linkspam and more of a well referenced literature review. I hadn't heard of many of those blogs before, especially the earlier ones, so I had been unaware of some of the arguments going on (though I did recognise others). Very nicely done!

Thanks. :3 lol, it... started out as a linkspam... but... once things get super long, I know nobody's going to read each and every one, so I try to compensate for that with summary and preview. As I mentioned to Vesper in the comments -- there's actually a lot of bonus content I cut out because it got too long! I'm thinking about whether or not to give it a "Part 2" on account of that (with some different but similar/related concepts and terms).

Archived