Help! My parents are suspicious I’m queer!

HelloThere

So yesterday I was messaging on my account on quora, and dad inspected the account while I was awake. He checked my past messages and I had made a lot of messages on LGBTQ+ rights, and one of them used the wording “we” and “us”. Not to mention that the recommended questions on the main screen had “asexual” written on it, so now my dad probably thinks I’m bi or worse, ace (I actually am ace, but I’m not sure yet so I can’t explain this to him without really knowing more). I repeatedly said that “I’m not” when he asked about that (I never had any specifics on that), and now he’s probably already communicated his concerns with my mom as well. If I come out to my dad now, I’m gonna be told I’m too young to be aromantic, and I’m going to be called a liar for saying I’m ace. I can’t do that right now, and I definitely can’t take the worry of this anymore. He likely thinks that I’m bi, and well, he’s accepting, I just really don’t want to even get close to talking about that yet. Is there anything I can do to throw them off my scent? 

• Like 1

So I've done stuff like this before, what I'd recommend is to create a fake Quora account to make it seem you're supporting lgbt rights and not actually lgbt and delete the other one. Clean the search history and all your passwords, (Including for this site), Switch to brave and say it's for privacy concerns. Or use this feature that on most if not all web browsers.

image.png.e991c84c5dfc76e2d7ac04ab737ff419.png

and if you have any files or images you might want to hide scan every single file on your device and if it's on a computer do this.

image.png.3aa0539e35c146f7a26103496166fd7a.png

It will hide the file and make it undetectable but it's still there or if it's on a phone and it's something your parents suspect, put it on a secret Dropbox account.

hopefully that helps to hide it from your parents.

• Like 2

Also stop panicking if your parents tell you that "you're too young to be aromantic." There probably not going to say it and even if they do its only like 6 words. And they don't even mean anything since its what you thing matters or blah blah blah generic support poster HAnG in ThEre, Something like that

2 minutes ago, SwiftySpeedy said:

Also stop panicking if your parents tell you that "you're too young to be aromantic." There probably not going to say it and even if they do its only like 6 words. And they don't even mean anything since its what you thing matters or blah blah blah generic support poster HAnG in ThEre, Something like that

I’m saying they’ll be dismissive. Panicking lasted a short period of time, and honestly, I truly don’t care if I’m right or wrong, just that I don’t have to have this conversation with them yet.

8 hours ago, HelloThere said:

I’m saying they’ll be dismissive. Panicking lasted a short period of time, and honestly, I truly don’t care if I’m right or wrong, just that I don’t have to have this conversation with them yet.

oh and on the advice to hide it?

10 hours ago, SwiftySpeedy said:

oh and on the advice to hide it?

I'm gonna avoid that area, try to deny deny deny, and pray that I can keep things on the downlow. I want them to forget the incident, and once I figure things out, I'll hopefully be sure enough to know.

• 2 weeks later...

I've actually had the problem of hiding my accounts myself and have actually found a pretty good solution imo. I'm not going to fully into detail about it though, since it's a lot of steps you have to follow: 

On 8/7/2023 at 5:49 PM, SwiftySpeedy said:

So I've done stuff like this before, what I'd recommend is to create a fake Quora account to make it seem you're supporting lgbt rights and not actually lgbt and delete the other one. Clean the search history and all your passwords, (Including for this site), Switch to brave and say it's for privacy concerns. Or use this feature that on most if not all web browsers.

The idea of a show off account is quite good, as long as it's kept fairly active, your dad won't suspect anything. If you don't want to bother not having your previous searches and log-ins as in Brave, you can use a program called "portable apps" (https://portableapps.com/) and install your prefered browser using this software. Then you can even lock it with a password by using an Veracrypt (https://www.veracrypt.fr/code/VeraCrypt/) volume to encrypt the portable apps folder and only be able to access it with a password. In this volume you can also put other secret files, I for example have a diary for all my thoughts in there. The last step you can do, is to hide the veracrypt volume as SwiftySpeed showed. 
If you want to open your browser with all your secret accounts (keep them seperate from your main showoff browser obv), you just find the veracrypt volume, type in your password and open the browser from portable apps. One thing you can to if your dad might just burst into room unannounced, you can use the multiple desktops feature on your pc and just switch to an innocent desktop by using Ctrl + Win + Arrow keys L/R, that way you can switch really fast. 

If you want a good way to do it on your phone, the only really comfortable option i've found (I'm using a Redmi phone with MIUI, so Android), is to use the second space feature, where you can have a completely seperate phone from your main phone, which you can either access through settings, or you can even set a specific fingerprint only for the second space. 

I hope these ideas can help you in hiding your accounts! The solution is a bit overengineered, but when I thought of these steps, I just wanted to be extra sure no one finds this account for example. 

• Like 1