fellow aromantics (or others) who get crushes, what are your experiences with them?

gay vermin boi

now i dont really know how to explain this very well, but im kind of confused on what a crush is at this point. i have had them in the past but i think they may have just been gender envy or maybe me thinking a strong liking to a close friend was a crush??? i just dont know if i have crushes on people/persons and i was just curious to see how you guys would explain crushes..?  or explain what aromantic relationships are like as well possibly ( i havent been in a relationship yet but im curious on others experiences with them and what they are like!)

So, I've also thought about this a bit because it seems like I have a different definition of what a crush is than some other aromantics.

I notice a lot of people here talk about crushes as something romantic in nature, but personally I've never seen a crush as having any romantic desire at all. I've always just viewed a "crush" as ...someone you found attractive consistently
Like if there was an actor/actress I thought was hot, I might watch more things with them in it, or interviews because I find them.. nice to look at? but I still wouldn't have any desire to like.. actually date them

And talking about this with a friend who is alloromantic, he also confirmed it's the same with him, that most crushes he's had have not been a romantic thing.

As far as aro relationships go I can't really help since I've also never been in one.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, BulletproofVendetta said:

I notice a lot of people here talk about crushes as something romantic in nature, but personally I've never seen a crush as having any romantic desire at all. I've always just viewed a "crush" as ...someone you found attractive consistently

Like if there was an actor/actress I thought was hot, I might watch more things with them in it, or interviews because I find them.. nice to look at? but I still wouldn't have any desire to like.. actually date them

If you're interested, some of the terms we have come up with:

Smush - someone you find sexually attractive/might want to become sexual with

Swish - someone you're aesthetically attracted to/enjoy looking at

Lush - someone you have sensual attraction to/might want to do sensual activities with

Squish - someone you're platonically attracted to/might want to be friends with

We do tend to consider crush romantic (possibly with sexual feelings as well) because that's how allos use it. But whatever words you like are up to you!

@gay vermin boiyou might be interested in my post here about crush feelings:

There's also this topic about aros who've been in relationships, though it includes those that were on relationships before realizing they were aro or were pressured into: 

• Like 2