Aromantic songs of your childhood

šŸ„¦šŸøšŸ‡šŸ‘½šŸ“ā€ā˜ ļøHello and HAPPY PRIDE MONTH EVERYONE!!!!!šŸ³ļøā€āš§ļøā¤ļøšŸ§”šŸ’›šŸ’ššŸ’™šŸ’œ

Today my favorite childhood songĀ randomly started playing in my head. The more I sang, the more I realised that itā€™s a great aro representation (even tho the group didnā€™t intend it to be).
Ā 

Itā€™s a Russian song Ā«Š—Š°Ń‡ŠµŠ¼Ā» (What for) by a group ā€œ5sta familyā€. If you know Russian, definitely check it out, if you donā€™t but still curious, hereā€™s a translation in EnglishĀ 

https://lyricstranslate.com/ru/Š·Š°Ń‡ŠµŠ¼-what.html

Its about a woman and a man. No matter how much the man tries, the woman canā€™t fall in love with him. And she has no idea why, as the man is a great guy, buying her gifts, complimenting her and treating her like a queen. Yet she still feels nothing.Ā 
Itā€™s not perfect, it does imply the woman has other lovers. But the overall idea sounds like sheā€™s aro Ā 

Do you have a favorite childhood song that also seems to describe aromantic experience? Please share them

• Like 2

Really cool song! And thank you for the translation link, if I had only watched the video on youtube I wouldnā€™t have gotten an aro vibe but I totally get what you mean.

Thinking back on my youth I grew up with girl- and boybands like the Spice Girls and the Backstreet Boys. I kind of liked the tunes, but I knew very little English at the time so all the romantic lyrics kind of went over my head. I didnā€™t understand why everyone in my class had their posters on their walls though, I just had a bunch of animal postersā€¦

Back on topic, I guess ā€˜wannabeā€™ from the Spice Girls has sort of aro vibes? It does tell you that ā€˜friendship never endsā€™ ;)

• Like 3

To me it's Wasting Love (1992) by Iron Maiden.

Spoiler

Wasting Love

Maybe one day Iā€²ll be an honest man
Up 'til now Iā€²m doing the best I can
Long roads, long days
Of sunrise to sunset, of sunrise to sunset

Dream on, brothers, while you can
Dream on, sisters, I hope you find the one
All of our lives, covered up quickly
By the tides of time

Spend your days full of emptiness
Spend your years full of loneliness
Wasting love, in a desperate caress
Rolling shadows of nights

By the tides of time

Sands are flowing and the lines are in your hand
In your eyes I see the hunger, and the desperate cry that tears the night

I likely interpret this in a way not intended by the composer. But to me this describes the aro experience of being an outsider and having lost all chance at romantic "love" while OTOH, yeah, becoming really indifferent about mainstream allo society seeking romantic fulfillment...

• Like 3

On 6/11/2022 at 1:14 AM, Nix said:

Really cool song! And thank you for the translation link, if I had only watched the video on youtube I wouldnā€™t have gotten an aro vibe but I totally get what you mean.

Thinking back on my youth I grew up with girl- and boybands like the Spice Girls and the Backstreet Boys. I kind of liked the tunes, but I knew very little English at the time so all the romantic lyrics kind of went over my head. I didnā€™t understand why everyone in my class had their posters on their walls though, I just had a bunch of animal postersā€¦

Back on topic, I guess ā€˜wannabeā€™ from the Spice Girls has sort of aro vibes? It does tell you that ā€˜friendship never endsā€™ ;)

Same! I started actually learning English in my teenage years, so many songs everyone Ā were obsessed with, I didnā€™t understand

And thanks for the recommendation! Iā€™ll check it outĀ 

On 6/11/2022 at 2:00 AM, DeltaV said:

To me it's Wasting Love (1992) by Iron Maiden.

Ā  Reveal hidden contents

Wasting Love

Maybe one day Iā€²ll be an honest man
Up 'til now Iā€²m doing the best I can
Long roads, long days
Of sunrise to sunset, of sunrise to sunset

By the tides of time

By the tides of time

Sands are flowing and the lines are in your hand
In your eyes I see the hunger, and the desperate cry that tears the night

I likely interpret this in a way not intended by the composer. But to me this describes the aro experience of being an outsider and having lost all chance at romantic "love" while OTOH, yeah, becoming really indifferent about mainstream allo society seeking romantic fulfillment...

Thatā€™s so interesting! I think you can also interpret it as our role as advice givers to alloromantics. Because weā€™re so done with all the drama in their love lives, weā€™ve become kinda numb and tell them itā€™s useless and should end it. And they reply to us that weā€™re just lonely and will be alone forever

• Like 2