Friend advice

Guest Ryan

Question

Guest Ryan

I’m a 25 year old man. I’ve had the same group of friends since school. We’ve always been a group to joke and wind eachother up. Recently, I find I’m unable to see the funny side. Meaning every time we meet up I’m usually left feeling miserable and upset. My girlfriend says I should say something, but I don’t feel I can raise my concerns due to humiliation and risk of further jokes.

The only action I’ve taken so far is to distance myself and try to not say much when we see eachother. 

what should I do? 

1 answer to this question

I would start with another question to consider - are these friends people that you still connect with, aside from their questionable sense of humour, or have you perhaps just grown apart?

All of my closest friends now I met after I was 25. I feel like who I am as a person & how I live my life changed dramatically from when I was at school to the time I got into my 30s. It's nice to know some of my school friends are doing well, & I have loads of happy memories that I cherish, but we've moved on to different things. It's not a failure, there was no big falling out, it was sad to realise that I'd drifted away from some people, but I love the people around me now just as much if not more.

Absolutely nothing is worth making yourself so miserable, & maybe a bit of distance will make it easier, even a bit fun again, to see them on the rare occasions that you do. Best of luck!