Does romantic attraction feel "romantic"?

Guest Diamond

Question

Guest Diamond

I can't tell if I've felt romantic attraction to this fictional character 3 years ago, I hope it wasn't romantic attraction (I don't want to be straight or anything other than aro). Does Romantic attraction really feel "romantic" and "flirty"? I know that I liked the character, as an edgy cool character but I don't think I genuinely, genuinely wanted to kiss or marry said character. I know I've never actually felt "romantic" or "flirty" or "candlelit serene dinner" or "butterflies in my stomach and birds singing with rose petals drifting in the air" in my life. I found the character cool, it was viewed as a (hetero) crush by my family so I just played along with it, perceiving it as a crush. I hope it wasn't an actual crush/romantic attraction, like I really really hope it wasn't. So, my question is, is romantic attraction actually a "romantic" feeling, not like any basic excitement or anxiety or obsession, but like an actual "I want to kiss him and marry him so much, pink hearts and butterflies and birds chirping" kind of feeling?

1 answer to this question

This is a really tough question, since I have not felt romantic attraction.

I can tell you that all those songs & poems & stories are based on truth, & some allos really do feel the butterflies! (reportedly)

If it helps, no one is going to take away your aro identity just because you may have experienced some sort of attachment to a fictional character.

Also don't forget, fiction allows people to explore things emotionally safely because it isn't real. Perhaps this character resonated with you for more than one reason & you developed an attachment to the idea of this character. If they existed in real life, it could be completely different. There are loads of fictional characters I'd marry in a heartbeat simply because they are fictional & therefore I know they'd never annoy me 🤣