Hi

Syniel

Hi, 

I just joined this forum. I'm 19 years old and from Germany so I hope you can understand everything I say. 

I can't really describe which kind of aromantic I am and I don't really care about all those words either. What I found out is that I'm asexual, too. I never really understood these concepts of love it always confuses me. 

I just started working in an archive and I use the chance that I'm in an english speaking forum now: My teacher said that you mostly say the plural "archives" when talking about them. I can't really believe that and my englush teacher is stupid so now to all the native english speakers out there: archive or archives?^^

My free time I mostly spend with reading books or watching TV. I'm also trying to write a book myself. I like to read fantasy, science-fiction and thriller. My favorite TV Show is Criminal Minds but I've also seen lots of others^^

I think that was the most important stuff about me...

See you soon

Syniel

Hi :)

43 minutes ago, Syniel said:

so now to all the native english speakers out there: archive or archives?^^

Well, both! But it depends. You could say "I work in the archive". Or you could say "I work with the archives". Or you could say "I work with the archives in the archive". The archive is the name for the place where the archives (records) are kept/stored. I agree now that it's a bit confusing to use the same word for both these and have it mean something different depending on whether it's plural or singular :). (I'd never really thought about it before - and just to add to the confusion, a single record from the archive (place that contains the archives) would also be called an archive, I guess :P but your teacher is right that this wouldn't get used much). 

43 minutes ago, Syniel said:

I like to read fantasy, science-fiction and thriller

Ooh, which authors? I'm a big Ursula le Guin fan myself and she spans both sci-fi and fantasy genres. But maybe you're more familiar with German authors?

Yeah, like @Zae said just now, we've also got some other people trom Germany on these forums e.g. @aihpen and @Rina (who joined right before you did!)

@Zae

Well, I have different ideas for several genres but I'm now concentrating on something you could best describe as supernatural. It's about a police unit for cases involving ghosts etc. 

@NullVector

I've never heard of her. I'm a big fan of Partick Rothfuss and the Kingkiller-Chronicles. 

I'm mostly reading american authors but the german translation. Not because they're american I just like the books. 

Okay so my my teacher is wrong. She said that the place is called "archives". But it's similar in german. The place is called "Archiv" and the documents are "Archivalien". 

Thank you for this ?

4 minutes ago, Syniel said:

@Zae

Well, I have different ideas for several genres but I'm now concentrating on something you could best describe as supernatural. It's about a police unit for cases involving ghosts etc. 

Oh, that sounds cool! Good luck with it! :ghostpapo:

9 minutes ago, Syniel said:

Okay so my my teacher is wrong

Actually, I checked on Wikipedia and, just to confuse things even more, it depends if you're an American or UK English speaker :D (I'm from the UK)

"The physical place of storage can be referred to as an archive (more usual in the United Kingdom), an archives (more usual in the United States)..."

2 hours ago, NullVector said:

Yeah, like @Zae said just now, we've also got some other people trom Germany on these forums e.g. @aihpen and @Rina (who joined right before you did!)

Hi. Welcome to Arocalypse.

I am Really surprised  I got mentioned. :$ it's  not often someone mention  my name

Willkommen ~ 

Wenn du Lust hast zu schreiben, als ebenfalls Deutscher schick mir ruhig ne Nachricht, wenn du magst ~

(English: Welcome 

If you want to write as a fellow german, you can write me, if you want ) 

Hey, I would actually like to invite you two to our Arocalypse Discord server, @Rina  and @Syniel , the other german, Aiphen's is there too and it'd be nice, to see more people who're not Aussies there xD

Of course, only if you two are interested ^~^

20 minutes ago, Zae said:

Hey, I would actually like to invite you two to our Arocalypse Discord server, @Rina  and @Syniel , the other german, Aiphen's is there too and it'd be nice, to see more people who're not Aussies there xD

Of course, only if you two are interested ^~^

Thanks for inviting. I'll think about it. But I am not sure, because I am really shy and not good talking to people I don't know well 

58 minutes ago, Rina said:

Thanks for inviting. I'll think about it. But I am not sure, because I am really shy and not good talking to people I don't know well 

Alright, I can see where you're coming from, I'm not better. I think the only reason I'm actually active and still there, is that when I first joined, someone immediately dragged me into a conversation and was really welcoming. Actually all of the regulars are really nice people and it's often fun there :3

You could just come and see how you like it, you don't have to stay if you don't want to, but I think it would be fun ^~^

However, I can relate to how you're feeling, so I would understand if you won't join and that's alright too. You don't have to do something you don't want to :3

Archived