Aro sexuality and puritanical upbringing (potential TW)

Guest Aeon

Question

Guest Aeon

Being raised in a constricting religion and trying to find peace after leaving has been no easy journey, especially regarding relationships and sexuality. Finding out that I am aromantic makes so much since now and is incredibly relieving. But I still struggle to separate what is 'me' and what is 'toxic purity culture' with sexuality. I feel sexual attraction that changes in intensity, but I tend to feel ambivalent about the act itself. I may get a feeling of oh no or ick when sex is brought up though sometimes I'm more neutral to it. I cannot for the life of me tell if it's latent 'purity' or if I am truly this averse to it. The thought of someone making advances towards me makes me uncomfortable and anxious. How is someone supposed to navigate something like this? How? Is the aversion/ambivalence how I actually am normally or is it my past? If anyone has resources or experience with this any input is welcome.

0 answers to this question

There have been no answers to this question yet