Linguistic Problems (◞‸◟;)

Keith

Hi!! So, recently I started learning both French and Hebrew, and I was wondering - are there any non-native Hebrew and/or French speakers there?? I'm asking specifically about non-native speakers because I wanted to know what your learning process looked like!! 

Although my question is (obviously) directed towards French and Hebrew speakers, I'm more than happy to listen about other journeys as well!!

(Not a French/Hebrew learner, but someone with a question)

As of a few weeks ago, I started learning Greek. Currently, I'm learning on Duolingo and it's hard to understand conjugations. Do you have any recommendations for any other apps/websites?

On 10/20/2023 at 1:51 AM, opal said:

Do you have any recommendations for any other apps/websites?

I have personally never learned Greek, however there's this one YouTube channel called "Langfocus" that keeps appearing on my fyp, so maybe you could check it out?? Here's the link to the video I saw on my main page!!

But aside from that - when I'm trying to learn a foregin language, I usually look for pieces of media in the said language. For example I listen to a lot of music in English, and I also recently started listening to Rammstein, because I wanted to actually be capable of forming a meaningful sentence in German, instead of those useless formulas they taught me at school.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Keith said:

I have personally never learned Greek, however there's this one YouTube channel called "Langfocus" that keeps appearing on my fyp, so maybe you could check it out?? Here's the link to the video I saw on my main page!!

But aside from that - when I'm trying to learn a foregin language, I usually look for pieces of media in the said language. For example I listen to a lot of music in English, and I also recently started listening to Rammstein, because I wanted to actually be capable of forming a meaningful sentence in German, instead of those useless formulas they taught me at school.

Thank you so much!! The video was really helpful. :)

• Like 1

Hi there, I'm an english first language french heritage speaker! I have an edge on french learning from growing up around so much french media.

Basically my child brain picking up the language patterns from things like music and tv really helped me learning the language later in life. So my advice for learning any language would be to immerse yourself in it. You don't have to understand it fully when you're just getting started, but things like media made for kids is a good place to start. Film is also good because you have visual context for what's going on.

Here's a couple french specific recommendations. I have a lot more but these are what helped me when first learning. Wakfu is a fantastic children's show, we actually watched it in my french class and it's great. We also watched a show called Extra French, but I have to warn you it's super cheesy as it's made for beginners to learn, not much substance. Music is also a great way to learn, there's a lot of good ones out there but one of my favorite artists I grew up with is Coeur De Pirate. Highly recommend seeking out other music as well, it's a great way to learn.

Let me know if you have any questions, I consider myself an advanced french speaker and I'm always happy to help people learn the language.

• Like 1

On 10/23/2023 at 3:06 AM, dewy said:

Hi there, I'm an english first language french heritage speaker! I have an edge on french learning from growing up around so much french media.

Basically my child brain picking up the language patterns from things like music and tv really helped me learning the language later in life. So my advice for learning any language would be to immerse yourself in it. You don't have to understand it fully when you're just getting started, but things like media made for kids is a good place to start. Film is also good because you have visual context for what's going on.

Here's a couple french specific recommendations. I have a lot more but these are what helped me when first learning. Wakfu is a fantastic children's show, we actually watched it in my french class and it's great. We also watched a show called Extra French, but I have to warn you it's super cheesy as it's made for beginners to learn, not much substance. Music is also a great way to learn, there's a lot of good ones out there but one of my favorite artists I grew up with is Coeur De Pirate. Highly recommend seeking out other music as well, it's a great way to learn.

Thank you so much!! I'll definitely chek the "Wakfu" show out (as well as that music artist you mentioned)!!

On 10/23/2023 at 3:06 AM, dewy said:

Let me know if you have any questions, I consider myself an advanced french speaker and I'm always happy to help people learn the language.

I'll keep that in mind!!

• Like 1